View Poll Results: Build up the 4.3 or save up for lt1?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

12 37.50%
  • lt1

20 62.50%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Build up the 4.3 or save up for lt1?

leave the blazer for cruising and use the gto at the track, or when you just need to get out and play.

Banned
    thats what i meant by "fast"

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Sir Mr. BIG Wooou bonestockracing's Avatar
    I think you got a good plan.
    91 S-10 BLAZER 355 5speed / 13.2 @ 107 on Street Tires, Traction is a Bitch
    94 GMC Jimmy 4X4 / Daily Driver
    2006 Silverado Z71 CC/SB

"Beat it to fit , Paint it to match"

Quote Originally Posted by banginjimmy View Post
    leave the blazer for cruising and use the gto at the track, or when you just need to get out and play.
    I think it would be more fun to have a sleeper. It would be funny to see people's reaction as I would blow by and waive at them.
    VLAD

My 95

How about build a 408 stroker for the GTO then use the 5.7 ls1 from the GTO in your blaze. Thats 2 fast vehicles for the price of one.
    Jay

There's only one way to describe your current state of mind, heart and attitude: You're a loose cannon.

Banned
    omg

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Search Button Mod BlazerINtheWork's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by x_concepts View Post
    Ya, there really is no question about whether or not the v8 is better than 4.3. The question is whether I can do it or not. I thought it would be alot easier to beef up the existing 4.3 than to go with a different engine.

If I got the lt1 or ls1 with a computer and everything, what all else will I need to change? And how hard would all the wiring be? Would the engine bolt up and work with the tranny in my truck or would it be a wiser decision to just look for the entire drivetrain?
    where in texas are you? i know there are a ton of speed shops in the texas area that could help if you get stuck doing the swap.

dunno about the ls1 swap but the lt1 swap isn't too bad. wiring is pretty simple, a notch in the frame for the a/c compressor is you use the f-body bracket(no notch needed with the better accerssory bracket), than all of your normal v8 swap stuff on top of that. forgot you need to get the VATS removed too. with the lt1 you could use your tranny you have now with 93-95 lt motors. in 96 gm changed things up, it won't bolt up with a 96+ motor(96 is also the first year of the obdII computer systems). the ls swaps end up costing alot more, the lt1 is still a very affordable swap. and with all the bolt ons, 1.6rr, a very streetable cam, and a nice tune you can hit the 340-350 rwhp range.

edit, forgot to address this:

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    You might consider supercharging your Blazer. Powerdyne or Vortech kits bolt on and only cost $4000US but an LT1 will be atleast $6000US just for the motor with machining, tuning, motor mounts extra! The supercharger should give you 40% more hp at rear wheels with the same fuel economy. Expect atleast a 5mpg drop in fuel economy with the LT1! Also expect fewer new LT1 parts being developed in the future as the LS series V8s are becoming more and more popular for hotrodding. My 2002 Xtreme is supercharged and it yields 220hp and 250 ft/lbs tq at the rear wheels. How fast can you afford to go?:cool:
    $6000 will get you a 450hp 383 setup, if not less. at least 5mpg drop? wrong, lt1's get about the same mpg as a cpi 4.3 when driven normal, maybe 1mpg less(0o0o0o). fewer lt1 parts are coming out because yes there is a lesser intrest in them, but there are so many parts already out there. quiet a few single digit 1/4 mile lt1's floatin around. the lt1 makes around 270hp/330tq stock, with minor mods, see above.

edit edit:
    HOLY CRAP when the hell did they make a cpi s/c?! wish they had more info on it, would love to s/c the daily one day.
    Last edited by BlazerINtheWork; 05-22-2007 at 09:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Baggd2DaXtreeme
    anyone who posts regularly and doesnt donate is a freeloader.
    Quote Originally Posted by banginjimmy(in reference to BlazinLow) View Post
    There are those times where its simply better than real life
    4 Door Love

Quote Originally Posted by 1stgen 305 View Post
    How about build a 408 stroker for the GTO then use the 5.7 ls1 from the GTO in your blaze. Thats 2 fast vehicles for the price of one.
    Nah, the GTO is only gonna get some LT headers, electric cutouts, and a tune. Later on also the rest of the exhaust and a cam. And that will be it for a while.

I think im liking the 93-95 lt1 idea. I see those for around 1k all the time. And thats including computer and the tranny. Once I save up some cash (buying the gto and going to cancun all in one month kind of drained me out) Ill prob get one and then start looking around to have someone rebuild it + clean it up and goody it.

For now Im hoping to replace my worn out steering gear box for a reman. monte SS one and see if it works. Also want to upgrade to either LS1 brakes or just 98+ blazer brakes and swap my rear end for disk brake one with 3.73.
    Last edited by x_concepts; 05-23-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    VLAD

My 95

I'd look into the lsx. a low mileage 5.3/4l60e can be had for far less than 1k with all the wiring and computer you need. IMO the lt1 is a dead end, the ls motors make great power, are very efficient, a whole lot more of them out there to come by, and the aftermarket is amazing for them.
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3 zach View Post
    I'd look into the lsx. a low mileage 5.3/4l60e can be had for far less than 1k with all the wiring and computer you need.

Where at? The cheapest Ive seen is about 2.5k for a high mileage one.
    VLAD

My 95

craigslist, ls1tech, perf.trucks, gmfullsize.com, even pirate4x4.com you have to search around some but if you have money in hand deals can be had. Also i'd stay away from ebay because ls motors are like gold on there.
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

Still having a hard time believing that someone will let an ls1+transmission+wiring go for 1k. If I found such a deal, I would have to go pull some money out of my savings....
    VLAD

My 95

He didn't say LS1. He said LSx, like the 5.3's used in the trucks etc.

Banned
    my buddy has a 5.3 and wiring he got for a crazy 300 bux, pullies and all. He's re selling it to make money, if the deal falls through let me know, he may want to.