Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welding Processes, Tips, Tricks, Facts, and Techniques

I'm a certified union welder, they make anti spatter spray which you can spray on whatever your welding and the spatter will just roll right off. I forget who makes it but you can spray it on the nozzle and tip and it works like the jelly, making it easier to clean. Does your Lincoln have a gas hook up? Or strictly flux? If you have the gas hook up just fork out the money for a bottle because no matter how good of a welder you are your not gonna get the best weld with the flux wire unless you use a dual shield wire which is a flux cored wire and you use gas. That shit runs awesome, once u chip the slag away, the welds look like they are chrome and it runs real nice. I'm pretty sure u gotta run 92/8 or straight co2, I may be wrong its been a while since I've ran that wire. That wire is for thicker steel tho, not sheet metal.
    Last edited by Blazed87; 05-01-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    GettinLaid

Another tip is watch using an auto darkening shield if your doing a lot of welding. I bought a brand new Lincoln AD shield 11 shade a few years ago and after a few months I started getting flashed almost everyday so I had to switch over to a regular shield, but then again I was welding at least 30 pounds of .045 a day. I think it was just from starting and stopping so many times that I'd get a fraction of a second of flash each time. Just a warning... and I wouldn't recommend getting one from harbor freight, unless you rarely use it.
    GettinLaid

Oops I thought you said you have a Lincoln,I read it wrong. You said you were using Lincoln wire. Esab makes really good wire, that's what I use at work unless I'm stick welding, then we use Lincoln rod. But try all different settings on your welder on scrap metal that's comparable to the size steel u need to weld until you get a good looking and good penetrating weld. It might take a while to get the settings right, but that's probably the biggest reason I see shitty welds is because the person doesn't have the settings right. And sometimes just because the weld may look good, that doesn't mean its a good weld. It's all about penetration. Practice practice practice
    GettinLaid

it's just a Flux welder. I have to go get some more wire so I will look for the jelly/spray

it's mostly for exhaust and maybe some small brackets
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Oh ok, I would get the anti spatter instead of the nozzle jelly just because you can spray the anti spatter spray on whatever your welding and spray inside the nozzle where with the jelly you can only dip the nozzle in. So what I'm trying to say is the anti spatter spray has more uses lol.
    GettinLaid

The stuff I found said you can wipe the jelly on the work area.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

Yea you can do that but its much more messy and creates a lot of smoke. Plus the spray is just easier and quicker, just my opinion. Buy both and ill bet you like the spray better.
    GettinLaid

Ya it smokes bad. I got I heavy welding jacket and one of those welding blankets. So I just put on the jacket and throw the blanket over my legs or body. And the splater dont bother me. I got a lincoln sp 135. It does sheet metal perfect and I use co2 argon mix. And flux for frame stuff or anything thick. i also went to school to learn welding, but it was an adult vocational school. ;kinda like heres a welder watch the safty video. And was left alone with a plie of srap. we used miller 251 with digatal wire and temp. So no guessing what the settings were

Wife's daily

My daily

thanks guys, I bought some jelly, but couldn't find the spray.....I'll use some cooking spray i have
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Yea the spray we use at work comes in a black can with red lettering and they get it from our welding supplier but ive never seen it at any welding stores either. Anyone have a millermatic 211? I'm saving for one and I heard its a great machine, I was just wondering if any of you guys got one. It has different plugs for 110 or 220 and that's what I like about it because you can use it pretty much anywhere and its not a very big machine, just a little bigger then the Lincoln 110s. I'm laid off right now waiting to get called back so I'm on unemployment so it might be another month or 2 till I get it cause I'm getting 35s for my RAM, and there not cheap especially in 20".
    GettinLaid

I've never tried the cooking spray but I imagine it works cause its oil, and probably smells much better lol
    GettinLaid

The 211 is a good welder. I used it to do my 4 link. My buddy owned it and he built a stock floored fullsize after that.

Wife's daily

My daily

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by savesthedaysk8 View Post
    I'm a certified union welder, they make anti spatter spray which you can spray on whatever your welding and the spatter will just roll right off. I forget who makes it but you can spray it on the nozzle and tip and it works like the jelly, making it easier to clean. Does your Lincoln have a gas hook up? Or strictly flux? If you have the gas hook up just fork out the money for a bottle because no matter how good of a welder you are your not gonna get the best weld with the flux wire unless you use a dual shield wire which is a flux cored wire and you use gas. That shit runs awesome, once u chip the slag away, the welds look like they are chrome and it runs real nice. I'm pretty sure u gotta run 92/8 or straight co2, I may be wrong its been a while since I've ran that wire. That wire is for thicker steel tho, not sheet metal.
    I use innershield all the time when doing structural welding and they always turned out nice. dual-shield is a lot easier to use, but if you take your time to set the voltage and wire speed innershield can produce a very nice weld, and can look like dual shield and get great penitration. the gas for dual shield would be c25 (72/25 mix) or straight co2

you should be able to find the anti-spatter spray or the nozzle dip at any welding store. kinda shocked that some of you havn't see it at a welding store near you. every store i go to i see it. I also agree with the settings, most of the time the settings have everything to do with it. if you are running innershield it will produce more spatter than a FCAW-G or GMAW.

I have a buddy that just bought the 211 and likes it, i have the miller 251 and love it. no matter what though you will always get better results when running 220V over 110V. the other thing is make sure you have it hooked up to a good outlet, preferable a GFI. we would always use our smaller miller 135 when doing railings and i would have to check many outlets on houses to find a good one, sometimes i didn't have a GFI close by or it would be a older home that had a poor electrical system so we would have to plug into our generator on the truck and run 100-200' of power cord, but that was much better than using a crappy outlet.
    2008 f350- stock

95 4 door blazer- SAS, crate 350. th350/205 37" swampers, dana 44/14 bolt....