Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does yours....?

Does yours....?

Does your 4x4 act a damn fool on the road when you cut it on? I have jumped the gun on a plenty of cars when I cut it on at a red light! I wonder what 4 low would do though...? I have only put my truck in it twice since I owned it. The sound of that thing is scary when you put it in 4 low. Besides, it is hell getting the damn shifter to go past neutral anyway... :)

hahah yeah my 4 wheel drive thing is all messed up too. in the winter it took me and my buddy beside me to pull that dam shifter back because it was soo stiff.

I use to run this shit- TUCKINRIMINS10's Avatar
    My 4 wheel drive worked Great then I sold it thankgod!!!!!!!!!
    Don't Buy anything from uglyjed.. What a -fuckbag- he is.

LOL do any of you actually know about 4 wheeling and when you should use it? or do you just drive thru snow or across grass

Well, I commonly use it when I am carring a heavy load- like alot of heavy ass people. Other than that, if I get stuck in something, during the snow season or rain season. Basically anytime I need traction I use it. Or, if I want to play and take off fast as hell I put it on too. The 4 wheel is normally used for increasing your steering performance, correct?

You actually not supposed to use 4wd on the road..only off-roading. It will wreck your vehicle..and have problems. Plus you lose the ability to turn ok..now it just sucks..lol

4 low is for VERY steep mountains, real rough terrian, where you have to go very slow. You don't go fast in 4 low..it's a climbing gear.

4 high is for stuff like the snow, mud etc. But you should drive in 4 high on the roads in snow cuz it's most dangerous than if you're in 2wd. When you are in 4 high on the road and on a slippery surface, you have a better chance of fishtailing the vehicle and then flipping it. If you have a new vehicle you're supposed to drive around in 4wd for at least a few times a year, otherwise bad things will come to you. I just had my whole frontends fluids changed cuz it's been so long and if you don't use it then the fluid don't move around and your system just gets wear and tear.

And it's not cheap. Trust me.

If you use 4wd HIGH is a straight line that's ok. I tried to see if 4 high was faster than 2wd but it's didn't really make much of a difference I think. At least I couldn't tell, while driving.

Hope that helps a little. That's pretty much exactly what the owners manual says..and most 4x4 enthusiasts.

My family used to be into it a lot, but working has taking over our lives..lol

Nate

It accels faster on my truck, I don't use it on the express way though. I really don't go faster than about 50 or 60 with it.

LOL YOURe not supposed to go that fast in 4wd!

dont fucking use 4 low or 4 wheel drive on the road for racign! just put it in drive and go! or if you wanna be slick go thru 1st then 2nd then go into drive (assuming you have auto tran like me)
    :bigthumb:

I am in 4 high when I do that. But, I very rarely use 4 period and have only used 4 low twice. :) The thingy that was on my visor until I removed the visor didn't say a max speed on 4 wheel. They did for low though. :(

the reason that it has a max speed on 4 low is because 4 low uses a lower gear than 1st gear. it is like keeping your shifter in first (automatic) and going as fast as you can. 4 high doesn't have a max speed because your using the same gear as you are in 2wd, but it is not good for your tires and front transfer case to drive 4wd on dry pavement.
    Slow as hell but i can pull any ricer
    around town with their E brake on

Ok here's alittle test. Put your truck in 4HI. Drive in a staright line. Any problems? Shouldn't be. Now turn the wheel all the way to the left and drive. You feel that hoping, it's the drive train binding. Now imagine how much stress there is on the drive train when you turn a corner at 40mph, in 4HI.

All 4 wheels want to turn at slightly different speeds. In 4Hi one of the front and one of the back wheels must turn the same speed which causes the binding. AWD like the Sy/Ty's have, allow all 4 wheels to turn a different speeds.

Now drag racing in 4HI. Is it good for the truck? no. But if that's all we cared about, we'd only drive to church on Sunday. :D If your gonna drag race in 4HI make sure all the tires are the same size. Binding should be minimal.

Later
    Steve

They are all the same size.

Beer,Its whats for dinner Paraquat's Avatar
    want soem real fun?
    1) Buy new tires.
    2) Do a big burn out.
    3) put it in 4 wheel.

I bought tires, 50 bucks each.
    I drove for a year, pizza delivery for 1/4 of that, working 20 miles away for about 1/2. and generally driving like a 19 year old asshole.
    My tires in back are like 1/8th tread, and 1/4-1/2 in front.
    Point is, they're so worn I'm afraid to sue 4 wheel, so make sure your tires are the same or the gears in either diff. will be unhappy
    :(

--Steve:
    I hate my truck.

I've used 4wd on occasion. ;)
    You can run in 4-hi if you want on the road. Just don't make a habit of it. Any of you have the JTR V8 swap manual? They have a picture in there running the quarter in 4wd, with a trap speed of somewhere in the 90's. I've had mine in 4-lo going about 50. It wined real load and I changed fluid after. But no ill effects.
    If you want to talk about steering bind. You should drive a vehicle equiped with a locker in the front diff, or even worse, a spool or welded front diff, haha.
    94 Blazer 4dr, 4.3, solid axle D44/9", spring over, 33" MT's
    88 Blazer 2dr, 4.3, 4x4, baby crap two tone, future plans include swaybars, AWD, lowering 3", and eventually a V8.