Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: just picked up a 96 blazer...

just picked up a 96 blazer...

Picked it up yesterday. ill have pics later tomorrow.
    just a couple questions though...

AC works , just doesnt blow out the dash vents. just the defrost and foot vents. any reason/fix for this?
    also the heat doesnt blow hot at all , it just stays cold. i was thinking heater core cause i found water on the passanger floor board but it doesnt smell bad like how everyone says it does when the core goes. im thinking the water might of came from the open air vents , like on my previous blazer ,but i havnt got around to checking it out. reason/fix?
    the windsheild wiper trim piece is missing on the pass. side also so that may be where the water is coming from. there is no rust that i could find under the carpet.

other than that it just needs a basic tune-up , fluid flush, brakes bled and maybe pads , couple body/trim pieces and thats about it...

i used to post on here when i had my old blazer, a 87 2door, but since i sold it i havnt been on. but i figured id post here once again since i got another.

:D

i got some pics finally.

missing bumper trim. ill probably hit up some junkyards and see what i can grab.

floor is soaked with water. im almost postive its a leak in the open air vents or the gaurd that covers the windsheild wiper things to keep leaves and debris from getting in there.
    first im going to wet-vac up all that water, rip out the insulation to prevent mold/mildew and go from there.
    i will be posting pics of my progress as i get further along.

:)

You can prob fix the AC not blowing from the front vents by replacing the airline under the hood that goes from reservoir to the engine.

As far as leak goes, I can tell you its not because of the missing winshield wiper cover. I drove through rain w/out mine for a few weeks while I was fiberglassing it and I didnt have any water inside.
    VLAD

My 95

as for heat not being hot, try pulling your heater hoses off and run water through them and through the heater core. Thats all I had to do to fix the exact same problem I had.

on my previous blazer , there was leaves and such cought in there and water pooled up and created a pinhole rust spot causing it to leak. ill check the open air vents , window seals and weather stripping on the passanger door.
    im not too mechanicly inclined so ill probably have a buddy help me with the heater core and AC issues.

thanks for the replies.

welp , i just finished pulling the seat out and carpet up.

for now... im just going to wire brush that rust off and hit it with some of that rust-killing spray paint , or naval jelly if its bad , then seal it with some caulk.
    im almost sure i found the leak, right behind this harness on the passanger kick.

bad spot to get a decent shot of it , but you can see the rust, theres also another small spot above that. im VERY picky about rust, i hate that shit.
    there is this piece of rubber between the fender and , firewall (i guess) that im sure has some type of foam under it that i think is causing the leaks there. its full of leaves n tiny spiders that inhabit the truck, though alot of them got sucked up into the wet-vac. from the looks of where its at im probably going to have to take the fender off and rip that out and sand/seal it from the outside so it doesnt spread.

any suggestions/ better ideas?

NO FAIR! My 96 doesn't have a RPM Gauge!

:cool:

your/anyones 96 have rust like that?
    im waiting on the rain bands to finish doing what they do, so i can get back to it.

My 96 has been pretty clean with rust. The only thing I've noticed is that my passenger door the paint is starting to chip off.

hmf.
    well i got around to sanding but instead of that rust killer paint , i used some naval jelly and some rubberized undercoating to cover up the spots. ill post pics in a little bit. gotta watch and make sure it doesnt rain.

its not the cleanest, but itll be under carpet so im sure no one will care...

rubber thing between fender and fire wall.

there was a tiny bit of moisture still on the metal i didnt notice and the undercoating is taking its time to dry.

also...:mad: . the spring on the hood latch broke. so i cant get the hood open. its just the spring but it looks like ill have to take the grill off to get in there and open it.

Well you bought it used so Where did it come from before? That will have a lot to say about the rust. I bought mine from a dealer up north and still live up north but the person who had it before me was an old lady who didn't drive in the winter time so I got really lucky.

its a florida car. i just hate rust , lol.

any easy way to get the hood to pop?

well from a fireman's standpoint I have a few ways but it would damage the vehicle. However, if you could get to the cable for the hood and pull on the cable Maybe it will pop. I know I had a problem getting that hood open once all I did was smack the hood and it popped open.

the cable pulls but the hood wont pop. i cant get the grill off either cause there is bolts under the hood that would need to come off. does anyone have a pic of the latch? maybe i could get a screwdriver in there and pop it. i know there has to be a way.
    :(