Thread: paint question

paint question

-what is the difference of a high build primer and a primer surfacer?(would primer surfacer work on urthane ground fx?)

-do i add flex agent to my primer(for ground fx)

-also do i drill pilot holes in the ground fx and body or do you just screw them on after paint?they came with self taping screws
    Last edited by kwickez; 06-03-2007 at 10:18 PM.

also what is the price of a quart of bulldog adhesion promotor?

any1?

I think you asked this before? Anyway, primer surfacer can be either like a regular primer that bonds well to metal, or there are versions that are more like a high build primer which contain more solids for a thicker coat. Thicker coat = less application to fill in low spots when sanding.

Yes, I would always use a flex agent in anything that goes over urethane parts. There is a flexible part primer that works well. Top coat should have flex agent added to it. You could get by without it if using a urethane paint, but even then problems can come up so its cheap insurance.

Bulldog if avail in quarts or other adhesion promoters (SEM etc) run about 20 or so for a quart. Bulldog does come in aerosol too so if you are just doing the body kit that may be a better option.

I would pre-drill the holes even if using self tappers. If not, it could lead to cracking much easier when the screw rips into the material.
    Last edited by 94blz327; 06-06-2007 at 09:26 AM.

hey ebay the bull dog! its pretty cheap on there and always prefit your body kit! it will save u a head ake lator and possibly save u from repainting anything! make sure it all fits b4 n e thing. it will give u a cleaner product at the end

high build and surfacer are typically the same thing just labeled differently from different manufacturers
    and like 94blz said most urathanes need a flex additives, depending on the exact type of material......I think you did ask all this before

but the biggest thing to remember is to follow the manufactuers recomendations for everything, even profesional painters must learn how a new manufacturers product will atomize and lay out as well as the mixing ratios, procedures, and flash times. Each manufactuers products will all act a little differently than one another even though they all serve the same purpose

ya but people kept giving me different directions and the labels on the cans didnt give me the specifics so i called the company and got what i needed.so thanks for the input