Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replaced door, now it's not fitting right.

1st gen luv

replaced door, now it's not fitting right.

I replaced the drivers door on my 87 2dr blazer today, with a door from a 94 4dr. jimmy. After getting the door on, i tried to close it and noticed something was wrong. I had to use moderate pressure to latch the door, and the fit off off by a bit. The top sticks out a good 1", while the bottom sets recesed by about 1/2".

The truck was hit awhile back, hence the reason for the new door. I measured the distance from the hinges to the doorjam on the passenger sige and it matches the drivers side. I also measured the distance from the top hinge to the bottom hinge. That's the same on both sides as well.

Any ideas as to what i can check out, to get this to work? My dad was insisting that the door is different since it's from a newer truck, and a 4dr, So i had to spend a good 30min letting him measure both doors to see for himself that there the same.

Ya know, now that i'm typing this, i wonder if maybe the bottom hinge got pushed in and the top pushed out when i got hit. The original door doesn't stick out like that at the top though when i put it back on there.

The impact was from the center of the door to the 1st 6" or so of the fender.

the problem is the welded on hinges
    they r not in the same spot on every vehicle..i belive that u have to drill the spo=t welds out thenslot holes and nut and botls hope this helps:D :smoker:
    Stroke ME!!!:D :smoker:
    1986 2dr 2WD S10 Blazer
    1989 E/C 4WD S10 P/U
    1995 E/C 2WD Silverado
    1994 Chevrolet Beretta
    1997 Hyundai Elantra

i say check the hindes on the truck and compare them to both sides. i put a set of 94 4dr doors on my 93 2dr blazer. ther fit just like the old ones did
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

1st gen luv
    Quote Originally Posted by syclonekid43 View Post
    i say check the hindes on the truck and compare them to both sides. i put a set of 94 4dr doors on my 93 2dr blazer. ther fit just like the old ones did
    I measure the hinges on both sides and they match up. The only way i didn't check them was to see if either one was in or out more. Although by looking at the them nothing looks bent. I'll have to check tomorrow to be sure since i don't keep the truck here.

I mean the doors not crooked, it sets fine right, just too far in at the bottom, and too far out at the top. Like if you took a door that was perfect, and had something pushing the top out really hard, and pullin the bottom in. I can fit all my fingers in the space at the top. as far as the sides go, they're straight with the body line. The door doesn't need to be moved forward or back any at all.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if i can so you can see what it looks like.

the truck you got the doors from. did you see the doors on the truck?
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)

1st gen luv
    yeah i took it off myself earlier today. I didn't see any body damage on the donor vehicle at all.

I ran over and shot some photos of the truck, and i'm working on hosting them now.

1st gen luv
    One of the front

the bottom

a side shot

the hinges

It's almost like if the top hinge were and inch shorter and the bottom a half inch longer, the door would set flush. Nothing looked bent on my truck body, and the door fit great on the truck it came off of.

I'm stumped.
    Last edited by chuey_316; 06-17-2007 at 01:04 AM.

in need of heartbeat.
    Hrm.. wonder if you were to put the top hinge on the bottom.. and the bottom on the top...?
    2000 S-10: 2.2, 5spd, scsb, 2wd.

1st gen luv
    If i remember right, the top hinge is 2 3/8 deep, and the bottom is 2 3/4. The bottom of the door would be closer (still 1/8" or so off) but the top would still be a little over a 1/2" off.

It's too dark out right now to measure the blazer i have here, but i'll check it tomorrow to be sure.

If it works, i owe ya one.

on that last pic. it looks like the hinge on the donor door is pushed in on the bottom.

in need of heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by syclonekid43 View Post
    on that last pic. it looks like the hinge on the donor door is pushed in on the bottom.
    I just realized that too.
    2000 S-10: 2.2, 5spd, scsb, 2wd.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    when they get hit in the door basically on any car they will bend the hinges, the pillar where the hinges are need to be pulled out accordingly to how much it is pushed and and as to what direction it was hit.. basically you need to undo the damage...

best way to fix it at home would be to take the door off, put an old hinge pin in the troublesome hinge, attach a chain around the pin and hook a come along to a tree and slowly pull the hinge out.. you will need to basically do a guess and check till the door fits.. i had a simlar prob on the s10 i just fixed..

the hinge pillar was bent up pretty good so i just replaced the whole thing to make it easier, but in your case you will just need to pull the hinges..
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

1st gen luv
    you mean cus of the way the doors setting? I noticed after looking at the pics for awhile that the door doesn't seem to set straight, but it sat fine on the truck it came from.

Could it be the hinge on the body that's bent? I'll try to check it out tomorrow if i get a chance. The fuel line in the cpi on the 94 i bought my g/f 94 just crapped out so my time has shifted toward that, but i try to get to mine whenever i have a minute.

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it.

Oh, i just remembered that there is one bushing missing from the bottom hinge. I'll try to get a pic of it with me lifting it to see how it looks just incase.

1st gen luv
    We were thinking of doing it like phatfarmer said, but the rocker was cut out and hasn't been welded yet, and the guy that's welding it says he doesn't want to weld it till the door is fitted. That way he knows the rock is positioned correctly.

I'm 99.9% sure that the rocker is perfect though, so i may try to get him to weld it anyway. My old man still want's to bend the door. He talked to a gm mechanic( i use the term lightly) and he said that the vehilces are different since there different years and the door was from a 4dr. I just told them to go to a dealer and ask for a door shell from an 82 2dr, and a 94 4dr and it'd be the same part #.

I sat looking at the truck for awile today and the pillar doesn't seem to be bent at all. The hinges did look like they may have been bent downward slightly, but i may just be an illusion.

I'm gonna have to order a new fender first so i can really compare, since my fender is screwed too.
    Last edited by chuey_316; 06-19-2007 at 09:27 PM.

did you check the botom hinge on the door? it might not be the pillar on the truck, but the donor door screwed up. unless you have no past history on the truck and maybe it was hit in that door. and yes all 1st gen doors are the same. ask the gm mechanic if a syclone door is the same as a 1st gen and see what he says.