Thread: Torsion Bar Lowering 4X4???

Question Torsion Bar Lowering 4X4???

I have a 90 Jimmy 4X4 and was wanting to lower it by way of the Torsion Bar. I have been all over the internet trying to find how to do this and have been unsuccesfull. If anyone would be willing to explain how to do this I would be most thankfull. Thank you...
    Life is a waste of time...
    Time is a waste of Life...
    So, let's get wasted and
    have the time of our lives!

There are two ways of lowing by torsion bars. The first and cheapest way is to look near the middle of the vehicle and find the cross member where the torsion bars connect in. The cross member is in somewhat of an upside down U shape. You will see one bolt on each side of the vehicle hanging upside down in the cross member. Get a large ratchet or breaker bar and loosen this bolt to lower(if you tighten the bolt you will lift the truck). I suggest you mark a spot on the frame and head of the bolt so you can count off how many rotations you do since you will have to do this same number if turns on the other side or else the vehicle will lean to one side. The second way (and the way I chose to lower mine) is to order the Belltech 4x4 lowering kit. This requires a little more work since you will have to replace the torsion bar key that is in the cross member. The whole process does not take that long but the keys are stronger and designed to take the load of a lowered blazer. Which way you want to go is up to you. The advantage of ordering the Belltech kit is getting the smooth riding lowered leaf springs. Whichever way you decide to go make sure you get an alignment afterwards. This will straighten the wheels up, but also you can ask the person doing the alignment to even up the front ride height with the rear so your truck will be level at all 4 corners. Hope this helps some.

Dwayne

OK, this bit of info took me weeks to figure out and I think I was a pioneer in doing this. I was going to try to sell this, but hey what the hell..
    First pull the bumpstops and remove those adjuster bolts. With the front end in J. stands, use a two-jaw puller to lift the t bar key up off that block/pad so you can pull the block out. Use a punch to tap the t bar out and the key will drop. While the t bar is 'disengaged' from the control arm hole, use a jack to lift the wheel/control arms right up til it just about tucks. Then pull the t bar back into its hole with the key arm back on. But Wait! Here's the trick, you have to put the key arm on just like it came out but upsidedown. Just flip it over. Put the block back in, and I suggest putting the bolts back in and crank them all the way up.
    This will drop your front 6-7 inches! It's also FREE, so give it a try. I must warn that the ride quality is not great. Try to find some small soft bumpstops. After I did this, it convinced me to fabricate a bag system, so I did!
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

man am i glad i found this site! ...ok if i lower the front of my jimmy 2 inches, will there be any problems later on with the suspension? i want to do it the free easy way by just cranking down the torsion bars. ( i plan on using 2 in. blocks in the rear)

A drop will not hurt your suspension at all. It will just make it look much better.
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

ok cool...when i crank down my torsion bars, will i have to a floorjack underneath it or can i just get under there and crank down each side?