Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally found some...

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AIR SIC View Post
    I would be afraid to see how fast Doug's Blazer is with some good headers than... lol
    LMAO..no shit.

Just out of curiosity, has any one in here, besides myself, actually run the Advance Adapters headers? I suspect not.

I can honestly say that I am quite pleased with them. They are the only substantial change I made to the engine after the body drop. I bought them mostly because I was lazy and they fit inside my steering column. So far,I', really happy with the performance...they flow just as well as those shit house Headmans I had.

I'll see if I can get some good vid of my blaze this weekend :)
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

Actually I liked the log style headers better than the e-bay shorties.

On my Limo truck I have also had the Hooker Long tubes,( painful) then Sanderson shorties (annoying, the right header collector angle was totalled wrong) and am now currently running stock GM manifolds and shields from a Buick wagon...... BTW wagons often have nice beefie parts. I put the manifolds on once and no leaks for 8 years.

the LS1 is running manifolds, the twin-engined truck is running manifolds and the race truck is running Zoomies

Cam Bearings - How often have you heard about someone spinning a cam bearings ------ not very often particularly if its been on stock spring pressures.

Mic them or look for the bearings pushing out or pitted on the bottom side.

We are willing to help, keep in mind that this portion of the forum V8'ed S10s are our religeon. Newbie claims knowing some backwoods swapper with MULTIPLE 11-12 sec vehicles is gonna catch the BS flag on any forum.

I run them.

I own the hedman headers and camaro exhaust manifolds too. I found the advance header/manifolds to fit the best for MY application. I have custom motor mounts that I made that puts my motor about an inch above the cross member and very close to the firewall in the back. With the hedman headers the steering shaft hits the third tube due to my motor location, but if different motor mounts were used it would work fine. The camaro manifolds exit to high and exit directly into the firewall.

Its true that I may lose horsepower on the top end, but my vortec heads limit me to 5500 so it really does not matter.

Just my .02 cents
    87 S-10 Blazer
    406ci
    8.5 Rear

ok so is that second pair of headers i posted the ones i should be getting?
    from the scion to the blazer, the daily grind is always there.

For what you're doing, you'll be fine with either set
    Doug
    Street Issue Customs

That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

Its up to your application.

I have seen many s-10 with the hedman headers and they worked fine for them. Most of the s-10 I seen with the hedmen headers run the 2.8 motor mounts with that adaptor plate (on ebay). Be aware of the flange on the hedmen headers, it is thin so run a good gasket to ensure the best seal.

Since you already have the advance adaptor header/manifold I would mock it up with that and see if you have any issues. If you do, then try the hedman.

Good luck
    87 S-10 Blazer
    406ci
    8.5 Rear

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    If I were to guess I would bet a set of big long tube ugly pain in the ass headers may give you an extra 5HP at higher RPMs..

-Matt
    Ive seen plenty of dyno sheets of ls1's with long tubes gaining 35+hp untuned and up to 55 tuned. So your guess of '5 extra hp' is a little off.

I would never get anything other than long tubes especially on 350+ci. Long tubes seem to produce the highest gaines.
    Last edited by x_concepts; 07-04-2007 at 09:05 PM.
    VLAD

My 95

True, but on a street car the rpm is rarely over 3500 where little is gained by long tube headers.

In addition, LONG TUBE headers are almost impossible to use on a street S-10, sense one of the tubes goes outside the frame rail servely limiting turning radius.
    87 S-10 Blazer
    406ci
    8.5 Rear

Long tubes I had were a real pain in the ass,

- the tubes that go around the frame limited the turning,
    - the slip joints leaked
    - by default the flange isn't one piece so each tube works its own gasket independantly and there is more leverage

maybe I'd use them on a saturday night special ........ but never on a daily or anything that will see miles

[QUOTE=low_blazer;725597]LMAO..no shit.

Just out of curiosity, has any one in here, besides myself, actually run the Advance Adapters headers? I suspect not.

I can honestly say that I am quite pleased with them. [QUOTE]

or GODFATHER :)

How good have the gaskets lasted with the Advance?

Whose gaskets and type did you use?

Fair enough, i just dont like to see "fuck this forum" theres so many diffrent personalities and diffrent people on here that theres a diffrent opinion about everything not to mention the amount of information.
    I must agree with everyone that says long tubes arent a nessecity unless you have a higher horsepower application. But to me those headers seem bottom of the barrel. It just seems if your spending all this money on the horsepower parts you would atleast get the better headers, for the fact that you never really wanna do things twice. Same goes for the cam bearings if you dont want to replace them fine, your right there probably okay, but for something that cost 30 bucks why not???? unless your nickle n dimeing it together which can be done. all im is getting at dont be offended when the majority doesn't agree. I was busting your balls about the heads vs. headers.

Edit GODFATHER, not all long tubes run outside the frame rail. For long tubes id rather have them just because that extra little bit is there and gaskets are easier to change lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

I use a thick all copper gasket and have had no problems.
    87 S-10 Blazer
    406ci
    8.5 Rear

I'm running the gaskets that came with the Advance Adapters headers...I've only gotten to put maybe a couple hundred miles on them, but so far, so good. The flange is decent too, 5/16 if memory serves, so it hasn't warped like the headmans did. I will be pulling the motor this winter..again, and when I do, I'll be running some nicer copper gaskets, and running a ball flange type collector. Advance expects you to run a slip fit with a clamp...that lasted about an hour before I welded them up..lol.

Also, how bad can they flow, really? You have 1 5/8 primaries that dump straight into a 2 1/2" tube. Granted they wont be as efficient as a set of long tubes at higher RPM's, but for some stoplight racing, they're great.
    Doug
    Street Issue Customs

i was always told to use a copper gasket
    "define yourself or someone else will"

Quote Originally Posted by BlownAMC View Post
    most questionably the 12th response to this thread starting out as "who gives a fly fuck what his trucks run." Yeh, ok im gonna get defensive cause some idiot decides to chime in with his two sense rather than giving me a constructive opinion.
    im allowed to chime in since i have a 12 second v6 :D :evil: