Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: 1st gen SS brake lines on 2nd gen calipers

  1. #16
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    thanks................i still want your control arm and coilover set-up
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  2. #17
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    soon to be swapping over the rear axle to a 2nd gen axle with discs


    anything I need to know you can think about let me know......
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  3. #18
    Registered User hdridinas2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Posts
    217
    What is all involved in this swap?

  4. #19
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    Quote Originally Posted by hdridinas2 View Post
    What is all involved in this swap?
    Exactly

    stock drum axle to 98+ 2nd gen disc axle
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  5. #20
    Registered User hdridinas2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Posts
    217
    I was actually refering to the front swap. Is it just the calipers and brackets?

  6. #21
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    For the front you change the whole spindle assembly. So you change to sealed bearings and divorced rotors

    2nd gen parts:
    Spindles
    Sealed bearings
    Calipers
    Saddles
    Rotors

    Benifit is twin piston calipers and 11" rotors= better stopping
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  7. #22
    I'm BATMAN! Harley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    2,420
    I just did the front and rear 2nd gen Blazer disc swap onto my 1st gen S10. Here is a thread from another forum, since I never posted it up here.

    http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/oaktown...p?f=12&t=10502

    I used a 2nd gen drum axle and converted it to discs with some spare parts a friend had given me. It was a direct swap over with the right brake line on the axle (soft lines to go to the calipers) except for the parking brake cables. I haven't messed with that yet and will probably wait until the summer when it is warmer and I can shop around the junk yard more comfortably. From what I hear if you use the rear cables from a Blazer with a similar wheel base you can make it work.

    Also if you want to use the parking brake I would suggest a new rotor and new drum shoes for it. Once they wear poorly the parking brake sucks. I've dealt with that on both of my 2nd gen Blazers. One being brand new when I first got it.

    If you have any specific questions let me know.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

    Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

  8. #23
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    without looking at your thread....my main question/concern is with the combination valve

    as far as the e-brake you can loop your stock ones and clamp the line.....i was thinking about getting a set from a 2nd gen but haven't gone back to the yard and when i was pulling this axle out i had to cut the e-brake lines to get the axle out
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  9. #24
    I'm BATMAN! Harley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    without looking at your thread....my main question/concern is with the combination valve

    as far as the e-brake you can loop your stock ones and clamp the line.....i was thinking about getting a set from a 2nd gen but haven't gone back to the yard and when i was pulling this axle out i had to cut the e-brake lines to get the axle out
    Haha oh yeah how could I forget that. The valve itself didn't end up causing me any grief, but I broke one of the lines when I was trying to rebend them to install the new one I got.

    I used a disc/drum valve I had picked up from the yard that didn't have any sort of ABS integrated with it. When I first drove the truck the rear brakes were definitely dragging hard core. Don't know if it was the one old caliper I was still using or the prop valve, but I modified the valve as I had found others had success with on S10forum and it went away soon after. I've been looking for the instructions on how to modify it, but it is late and I'm having no success at the moment.

    Basically you pop off the cap on the end of the valve that controls the rears and remove the spring and seal that are in there. Then reinstall everything else and call it a day.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

    Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

  10. #25
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    well I've heard a couple different ways that's why I'm leaning towords getting a new disc/disc valve
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  11. #26
    Registered User buta's94's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    oshawa, ON
    Posts
    151
    does this change your back spacing at all?
    Last edited by buta's94; 02-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.

  12. #27
    I'm BATMAN! Harley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    well I've heard a couple different ways that's why I'm leaning towords getting a new disc/disc valve
    I'd suggest doing one or the other. I was using all leftover/spare parts on this, so I tried to keep it on the budget as much as possible. That is why I just modified what I had rather than dropping the $60 or so on a new one. Didn't want anything extra shiney under the hood either, since everything still looks like it came from the factory on the truck. When I pull the ABS on my Blazer I'll go with a disc/disc valve, but that isn't my budget daily haha.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

    Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

  13. #28
    Zombie Killer 6SpeedBlazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lake St. Louis
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I just did the front and rear 2nd gen Blazer disc swap onto my 1st gen S10. Here is a thread from another forum, since I never posted it up here.

    http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/oaktown...p?f=12&t=10502

    I used a 2nd gen drum axle and converted it to discs with some spare parts a friend had given me. It was a direct swap over with the right brake line on the axle (soft lines to go to the calipers) except for the parking brake cables. I haven't messed with that yet and will probably wait until the summer when it is warmer and I can shop around the junk yard more comfortably. From what I hear if you use the rear cables from a Blazer with a similar wheel base you can make it work.

    Also if you want to use the parking brake I would suggest a new rotor and new drum shoes for it. Once they wear poorly the parking brake sucks. I've dealt with that on both of my 2nd gen Blazers. One being brand new when I first got it.

    If you have any specific questions let me know.
    this is how i did my blazer and my jeep when i did a rear disc conversion.







    mine are both manuals so i NEED a working e-brake. blazer has been setup like this for about 1.5 years and the jeep has been about 4-5 months so far

  14. #29
    5.7L VORTEC 350 blazin4low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    2,613
    did you flip your brakes or put the left on the right and vis versa?
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

  15. #30
    Zombie Killer 6SpeedBlazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lake St. Louis
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    did you flip your brakes or put the left on the right and vis versa?
    nope. those are pics of a jeep thats SOA.

    its actually a ford 8.8 and the e-brake levers are on top

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •