Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Swap

Diesel Swap

Whats up guys, I did a search and couldnt find too much on the topic. I am in the process of buying a 1st gen s10 from my roommate with no motor. I would like to swap it to a diesel motor and then throw a vegetable oil conversion kit on it. Then comes body work and bagging it of course. I have heard and read a little about the Olds diesel that is the same size as SB350? I dont know how right I am with that. Is this a good diesel motor? Any other suggestions on motors? I would also like to throw a turbo on it at some point. Would the swap for the Olds motor be close fitment wise and mounting wise to an SB 350? Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, etc. I would really like to do this swap in the coming year.
    2000 Blazer 2 door 5 spd. unfortunately stock except for some door and rear speakers and a CD player.

95 4 Door Blazer - Shaved:handles,antenna,roof rack, taillights, LEDs and license plate in the tailgate - smooth rollpan - bagged up front - lowered 5" in the back - WRECKED : (

Banned
    yeah they took a sbc and converted it to a diesel and its a horrible engine from what ive heard. That would be neat to see a diesel conversion tho.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    yeah they took a sbc and converted it to a diesel and its a horrible engine from what ive heard. That would be neat to see a diesel conversion tho.
    yeah my boss had a pickup with the diesel converted SBC (400ci. i think) and the only place that truck was going was nowhere fast
    97 Jimmy 4wd
    T-Bar Crank
    1/2 Ton Overloads
    Flowmaster 40 Series
    K&N Drop In
    Debadged, Deracked, And Destriped
    4 Door Love

Never Criticise A Man Before You've Walked A Mile In His Shoes. That Way When You Criticise Him, You'll Be A Mile Away And Have His Shoes.

the moter is actually a converted 350 olds.totally different from a chevy.they did have a heavier casting block and totally diff. heads.they can be converted to gas w/o much ado.they ran ok but not alot of power.i have heard of some pretty good milleage claims in the 20-25 range.they should'nt be much heavier than the chevy,as the gas version is actually lighter.they do have a wider "v",but are shorter from top to bottom.remember they use a bop bolt pattern wich may limit tranny choices.do it and let us see.im sure someone could even figure out a turbo for it.

You might consider a Cummins 4BT
    '92 Bravada
    230,000 miles and counting

most cutlasses with the olds deisel had been replaced with 305's and 350s long before the 80's finished

Banned
    haha, i remember me and my friend were riding our bikes when i was like 8 or so probably and i went by this oldsmobile that had always been parked on our street and i heard it runing one day and i locked my tire up and i was like wth? i knew what it was but i never had seen a car with a diesel.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by BravadaGuy23 View Post

How big is this engine?
    2000 Blazer 2 door 5 spd. unfortunately stock except for some door and rear speakers and a CD player.

95 4 Door Blazer - Shaved:handles,antenna,roof rack, taillights, LEDs and license plate in the tailgate - smooth rollpan - bagged up front - lowered 5" in the back - WRECKED : (

Quote Originally Posted by BravadaGuy23 View Post
    if i were you dont use cummins..i deal with them all the time. THEY SUCK! WE IN THE FEILD DONT CALL THEM CUM-A-PARTS FOR NOTHING.

if your looking for a diesel id say get a small isuzu engine like a 4.7 they are found in the isuzu truck npr or a chevy/gmc w4500. not only they are very strong engines they last a long time they take abuse very well and they are manaul injecton not electronic.so no engine computer.just alt and stater wires.

and on a nother note the trans that they are backed buy is 4l80e in heavy duty versons and on light applications they are backed by a 4l60e.

so i think that would be the best bet. you just need the motor and trans and the small ecm that controls the trans and alt and starter harness.

ive been tossing the idea around for a while about shoe horning one of these in to a 1st gen pick or blazer! for what i have looked at it doesnt seem to be realy hard. they are a coe engine (cab over engine). so they are a pretty short deck 4 cyl. if you need any measurements or need anymore info on this type of motor let me know i can look it up or give you part #s and prices on used parts.
    Last edited by ti28; 09-05-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ti28 View Post
    if i were you dont use cummins..i deal with them all the time. THEY SUCK! WE IN THE FEILD DONT CALL THEM CUM-A-PARTS FOR NOTHING.

if your looking for a diesel id say get a small isuzu engine like a 4.7 they are found in the isuzu truck npr or a chevy/gmc w4500. not only they are very strong engines they last a long time they take abuse very well and they are manaul injecton not electronic.so no engine computer.just alt and stater wires.

and on a nother note the trans that they are backed buy is 4l80e in heavy duty versons and on light applications they are backed by a 4l60e.

so i think that would be the best bet. you just need the motor and trans and the small ecm that controls the trans and alt and starter harness.

ive been tossing the idea around for a while about shoe horning one of these in to a 1st gen pick or blazer! for what i have looked at it doesnt seem to be realy hard. they are a coe engine (cab over engine). so they are a pretty short deck 4 cyl. if you need any measurements or need anymore info on this type of motor let me know i can look it up or give you part #s and prices on used parts.

thanks dude, if you could get me part #s as well as maybe some ballpark prices for the engine and components I need as well as the 4l80e tranny. I have been searching for it online, but I cant seem to find it. thanks for the info.

ok the following stuff i will be giving you is a 2002 gmc w4500 vin# j8bc4814627003517- if you call a isuzu dealership they will ask for a vin# so now you have one. i dont know if i can get you prices but i will help you out with part #s

engine 290 ci 4.74L 175hp@2700rpm
    engine famaily 2sxho4.83aa
    M/N# 4he1xs
    rpo:rly/4he1

trans 3speed overdrive
    aisin seeiki
    S/N#1c0484
    rpo:rnj

hope this helps.i will see what else i can dig up.just wanted to give ya somin this way ya didnt think i left ya hangin!if you call a dealership they will be able to get you anything you need they sell new and used parts!

why not just buy an s10 with a diesel alread int it, you know they came from the factory with a 2.2 diesel right?

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    why not just buy an s10 with a diesel alread int it, you know they came from the factory with a 2.2 diesel right?
    you got a point there.from what i understand there hard to find! and not olny that whens the last time you seen somone do a diesel swap?

well i already have the s10. and it is ready for a motor swap, me and my roommate already took out the old engine. Also, I want something bigger than a 2.2 I would like to do some upgrades and possibly a turbo in the future for some extra speed.

and ti.... thanks for the part numbers. helps alot, i will start calling dealerships. thanks again.

blazesmonop this engine is stock turbo! i should have said that a while ago. sorry