Thread: Cooling system drain

Cooling system drain

I know this is going to sound stupid but I cannot find the drain for my radiator on a 2001 trailblazer. Actually I think it's an s-10 with trailblazer trim. Anyway where is the drain for the radiator? Should I re-fill with Dex Cool or if it's flushed out good can I put regular anti-freeze in it?

Banned
    its on the bottom of the radiator, which side i cant remember, just feel around down there, it will be below the lower rad hose or on the other side. Roughtly a couple inches from the bottom.

And yes you can put regular coolant in, but you need to get it CLEAN!. meaning flush and back flush the rad, engine and heater core separatly. Then remember you wont be able to get all the water out of the block so you need to put pure coolant in first to even it out. usually a gallon or so.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    its on the bottom of the radiator, which side i cant remember, just feel around down there, it will be below the lower rad hose or on the other side. Roughtly a couple inches from the bottom.

And yes you can put regular coolant in, but you need to get it CLEAN!. meaning flush and back flush the rad, engine and heater core separatly. Then remember you wont be able to get all the water out of the block so you need to put pure coolant in first to even it out. usually a gallon or so.
    agreed!

it should be on the diver's side...i just did mine

and why change to regular coolant?
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    and why change to regular coolant?
    because dexcool sucks it fucking gells up!

I need to do mine too. I just had to replace the thermostat housing and a few days later, the water pump. They leaked out some nasty rust water all over my engine bay and undercarriage. I need to do it before the radiator or heater core are next.

For with God nothing shall be impossible. Luke 1:37

I would change to prestone green plus most new antifreezes out there are now compatible with dexcool anyway, but I would still do a complete flush. I did mine and it really isn't hard and doesn't take more than 1/2 hour. The biggest killer of dexcool is air contamination from a rad cap that doesn't hold pressure and even GM recommends changing to a stant rad cap as theirs are junk.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    My 2nd gen, the pepcock (drain) is on the passenger side underneath the battery tray. Very easy to reach from underneath under a plastic shroud.