Thread: Pitman Arm question

Pitman Arm question

My mom took her 1998 Blazer to a mechanic for an oil change since i didnt have the time to do it...While he did the change apparently he was checking over the front end....He told her she needs some front end work, a pitman arm and something else....I cant remember what the other part was, but it was part of the front end i guess...Center link maybe....?..This mechanic is a lil fishy at times...Is there any way i can just crawl under the truck and check the pitman arm out and notice something wrong? Im not a mechanic and honestly i dont even know what the pitman arm is or where it is...Can find out though and take a look at it if possible, just dont know what i should be looking for...

If there is indeed something wrong with the pitman arm i will be taking it to a shop to get it fixed...Does anybody know if this is a big job and roughly how much it should cost...Is it costly or somewhat minor....

Also, is there something i should notice in the steering if something is wrong with the pitman arm? Wish i could remember that other part she said.
    56' Ford F-100
    98' Chevy Blazer

Banned
    idler and pitman arms are always going out on s-series. Jack the front end up and wiggle the wheel side to side and see where the play is, and its probably in those. Pitman can be a bitch becasue its hard to get a puller on it but 2wd's are usually fairly open. Idler is easy, no puller required.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Pitman arm doesnt have a ball joint so it doesnt go bad. They dont even make replacement for it. Its the metal thing that connects your steering box to the center link.
    VLAD

My 95

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by x_concepts View Post
    Pitman arm doesnt have a ball joint so it doesnt go bad. They dont even make replacement for it. Its the metal thing that connects your steering box to the center link.
    also known as the PITMAN ARM.....wtf you talking about? they do make them, ive replaced a million of them.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    I know on a 4x4, you do not change the center link, there are no ball joints on it. You do change the pitman and ideler arms and tie rods
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

sorry guys my Blazer is a 4x4 should of said that...and yes, it did mention the center link...but now you guys are saying you cant replace those on a 4wd so now i feel like hes tryin to jerk my mom around...
    56' Ford F-100
    98' Chevy Blazer

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    you can replace them but there is no reason to unless its bent. There are not wearable joints on a center link
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

hmmm cant imagine why the hell it would be bent...ill have to see if i can get some time to look at it...or else im gonna have somebody else take a look at it soon cause she cant be driving it all that much if there really is a suspension problem..
    56' Ford F-100
    98' Chevy Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    also known as the PITMAN ARM.....wtf you talking about? they do make them, ive replaced a million of them.
    2wd pitman arm doesnt have ball joint. 4wd might be different... but Its just a piece of metal. The ball joint for it is on the center link, not the pitman arm itself. When I was changing my steering box, I actually was gonna buy one so that I didnt have to mess with pulling the old one off and was told that they were not made due to never going out.

Also on 2wd the centerlink has 2 ball joints, and those can go out. Again, not sure about 4wd, never worked on them. But I guess all this is really irrelevant since he has 4wd.
    Last edited by x_concepts; 10-16-2007 at 07:28 AM.
    VLAD

My 95

x_concepts is right, the 2wd pitman arm is not a part you can go to a parts store and buy b/c there is basically no way to ruin one unless the centerlink is not seated properly and the hole starts ovaling.

Here's a pic of the 2wd centerlink. You see that the ends where the idler arm and the pitman arm attach are ball joints.

here's the 2wd pitman arm with no ball joints. this is from my stock 2002 gearbox that was relocated to right hand drive:

Here's a 2wd idler arm. looks very similar to a 2wd pitman arm but has the mount point with the 2 holes instead of a hole to mount to the gearbox

Here's a 4wd idler arm, it has a ball joint at the end unlike the 2wd

Here's a 4wd pitman arm with the ball joint as well.

Autozone doesn't have the centerlink b/c like said earlier its nearly impossible to wear out unless ovaling is caused at the holes for the ball joints or the centerlink is bent. I hope this helps out a little better. It's always easier with pics!
    Last edited by flnole78; 10-16-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Banned
    and he has 4wd so the award goes to me :evil:

thanks for the info guys
    56' Ford F-100
    98' Chevy Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    and he has 4wd so the award goes to me :evil:

Ya, the award of knowledge.
    VLAD

My 95

If all those parts still look good and are tight then you may take a look at the steering link that connects the column to the gearbox. I know they wear out pretty easy as well on s-series'. Odds are you probably have a worn out idler arm or pitman arm. They are pretty easy to install and relatively cheap at an autoparts store. If you want a how to on the idler arm, you can go here:
    http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_replace_your_idler_arm