Thread: '87 V8 swap

'87 V8 swap

A friend aked me to find info on putting a V8 in a '87 2door 4wd 2.8 Blazer. I checked "Sticky: Please take a look if your doing a V8 conversion on a S10/Blazer" but none of the links worked. Can someone tell what's involved in making the swap? Thanx, Mike

The JTR book on S10 v8 swaps is pretty good for a carbed swap into a first gen. Even has mount patterns for the 4wd I believe.

Which motor and tranny is he trying to use, as the 2.8 has a different bell housing bolt pattern.

He'll also need a bigger radiator

I'm not sure if he has a particular smallblock in mind. What is the "JTR book"? He did mention that he's heard that he needs a different bellhousing and radiator. Thanx, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dmike25 View Post
    I'm not sure if he has a particular smallblock in mind. What is the "JTR book"? He did mention that he's heard that he needs a different bellhousing and radiator. Thanx, Mike

www.v8s10.com

they sell a v8 swap book that has a lot of good info for a first time swapper

Thanx! if it were me, I'd buy the book ASAP. My buddy is kinda cheap. Any other sources of info? Thanx again, Mike

Wink v-8 swap

oh man where do you want to start? the good news is this task has become easier over the past few years, because of aftermarket parts to do just that. speed shops now offer motor mounts,radiators, headers,hoods,and all the hardware you will need. keep in mind, you w'ont be able to use the 2.8 tranny, because of bolt pattern; so 700-r-4, turbo 350, or 400 is in order.depending on rearend you are using. front springs are ok if in good shape.pretty good fab. skills is a plus, but if ur adventurous, and have the resources, go for it! right or wrong, somebody here can steer you right. at least you can say you did it yourserlf!

IS he going to keep the 4wd? as that requires a different oil pan.

The sbc/t350 or 700r4 with a carb is so common that it may be cheaper to just find one done.

If he is too cheap .... then he may be disappointed with the results as a laid out whip V8 from an anemic sedan won't be any better than a 4.3.

What are his goals? torque, offroading or drag and is gas milage a concern?

Wow! Thanx to all! Great link 03. dreamin85, he did mention tranny/bellhousing issues,but I think the rearend was never even thought of. bigjsp, I think his goal is just to have a little more power. He live's in Sidney NE, likes to run around by the lake and maybe play in the mud a bit. Pheasant huntin' too! Thanx for the help, it's bedtime now. I'll check back tomorrow night. thanx again guy's, Mike