Thread: Airbags on a straight axle help pleaseeee!

Airbags on a straight axle help pleaseeee!

I have a 1950 ford truck that i want to put airbags on the front, but it has a straight solid front axle with leafs. I dont have tons of money so i thought maybe i could take out several leaf springs in the front until it started to fall under its own weight. Then make some brackets and install airbags to take over the load of the truck. That way i can keep some leaf springs in to keep the axle stable and in place and now use airbags to raise and lower... Am i crazy or does anyone think this will work. Or what is the normal thing for installing airbags on a solid front axle? If anyone can please help it would be great Thanks

your all sick with sin
    i plan to do the same thing to the rear of my blazer i dont see why it wouldnt work

They make an "air-over-leaf" kit that does just that.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

With the air over leafs kit i havent found on that will work for lowering a vehicle.

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'
    Just like any other truck out there that mono leafs and does an air bag, it will work.
    But it is unsafe. Probally even more with yours since it is old and in the front.

Treat it like a rear set up. Do a 4 link and then bag it.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

I agree, but do you still think it is unsafe seeing as the airbag will now be the suspension for the front end. It no longer relies on the leafs....only uses them to line the front end up.

The airbag will only hold the weight of the truck. The mono leaf will still be the suspension.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Banned
    just curious, assuming you add a lateral bar to prevent axle wrap, how is it unsafe?

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

When you constantly over extend the springs they will tend to weaken and crack. The springs will be subjected to more movement than they were intended to be. Wavy and cracked springs are fairly common in the hardcore industry where the leaf springs are constantly extended +/-8-10"

Link it whether it be 2/3/4 link or don't mess with it at all. Leave monoleafs to monoleaf specific springs, not multileaf springs.
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

i think a custom 4 link with bag on axle and a panhard bar would be the key.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicenterDesigns View Post
    The airbag will only hold the weight of the truck. The mono leaf will still be the suspension.
    See that is what i dont understand.....If my airbad is attached at the frame and at the axle how can the leafs still be the suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by 50ridinglow View Post
    See that is what i dont understand.....If my airbad is attached at the frame and at the axle how can the leafs still be the suspension?
    The leaf springs are part of the suspension as they locate the axle under the truck. They are what holds it in place, the bags just support the weight of the vehicle.
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

Look at the suspension when it is either up or down. When it is in motion, the leaf spring still does the same job. The airbag just moves the frame up and down.
    Now take some of those leafs out, and you have taken away all the weight bearing springs and the mono will soon fail in most cases.

I'm no expert in suspensions. But I am learning and know enough to not do a mono leaf set-up.

The 2 biggest problems are constant overextension of the spring, and latteral location.I am just spitballing here, but here goes:

The leafs will extend beyond there limits once mono'd....this allows your drop. However, everytime the bag inflates and lifts the truck, you add stress to your now mono'd pack( it isn't as strong as with multiple leafs ). Think of it like a paper clip. Bend it back and forth in the same spot ong enough, and the metal fatigues and breaks. Spring steel is a little more tolerant, but the theory still applies.

Your leafs also locate your axle latterally. Removing leafs from the pack again weakens them, and allows them to have more sway from side to side. This just adds stress to the spring steel, and could help accelerate the paper clip scenario.

I think that is how it works...correct me if I am wrong. I do not want to pass on poor information.

I was running mono leafs on the back of my mazda. The packs started life as Belltech drop leafs. I mono'd them when I first bagged it...and added 3" blocks. When I first did this, the rear hangers were not quite on the ground aired out. Over time the rear settled and the hangers would plant themselves flat. I also noticed it seem to develop some sway in the rear. It was gradual, but it did happen...I would bet those springs didn't have a lot of life left when I pulled the truck from the road.