Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 00 Blazer rear setup: Mono-leaf. Good or Bad??

00 Blazer rear setup: Mono-leaf. Good or Bad??

My 00 Blazer (4dr) is currently in the shop. I got 22's on it. It's getting bagged for the first time. I am new to this and truthfully don't know much and so I don't want to get screwed over. After talking to the guy doing the install he said that he will be doing in the rear a Mono Leaf setup. Now people were saying to make sure not to do that on the rear because it was unsafe while others said it will be ok. So my question, Is it ok? If any, what are the negative & positive things to that? And what other options are there?

Just so you know, this is what I want to do. Lay it as low as the wheel well will let it. At the moment I don't want to cut up the floor & wheelwells (mainly cause not enough funds). He's going to do a starters hopper setup Thats at least what he called it. (F, B, S to S, front might get of the floor, & might be able to 3 wh.) This is what he said hes going to do.

Front:
    3/4, single-port

Back:
    1/2, with a extra long bag so that I can get it as high as possible and still lay it as low to the wheel well.

2- 7-gallon tanks
    2- compressors

He said it will be very fast that it might get off the floor on the front. He said with the extra long bag I might be able to lift it high enough in the front so that it can maybe 3-wheel, he didn't promise that though. Other then this thats all I basically know.

OKShowPics
    you're going to get the same answers here as you got on s10forum

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    First question...

Have you seen any of this guy's previous work? has it lasted longer than a month? I hear things like "Extra Long Bag" and I get worried. A mono-leaf, if done properly, will be ok for a while, but I wouldn't necissarily run it as a permanent setup. Typically, you'll deplete the spring pack by pulling the middle leaves and adding a drop block to get as low as possible, then using the bag to get your ride height and spring rate back. The downfalls are that you'll lose tons of lateral stability by pulling leaves, you'll wind up with a shit ton of axle wrap, and the liklihood of snapping a leaf at some point is pretty good.

I'm not sure how much you're paying, but you might want to look around and talk to some other shops who have done custom rear installs before...it will cost you more, but you'll wind up being happier with a decent 4-link setup out back versus a mono-leaf..
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

yeah i agree with low blazer on this one. i also wouldnt try to three wheel with a monoleaf set up. this is coming from me and i myself have never had a bagged vehical, but when i do i wouldnt mono leaf it.
    2001 2dr 2wd blazer 5/6 20s
    http://www.definiteobsessions.com/

leaf

as stated above about the mono leaf , i have seen this first hand with a friends s10 about 3 years ago , fortunaly it was in town and not on the high way. he has since installed a 4 link .

you said you had a money situation. will that situation get better in the future? if not why pay to have the work done twice?
    Last edited by zblazer99; 11-09-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spell
    2007 silverado crew cab static drop (5.3) ss 22's
    1998 2500 HD 3" lift w/33" Nitto M/T (5.7)
    1992 s-10 lt1 350 air ride (5.7)
    2011 Chevy traverse LTZ

dont do a mono leaf you can buy a cheap 3-link and do a cheap bag on axle setup and it will be safer and youll be happier!

jacksonville,Palm Coast, Daytona,Orlando, florida
    i will agree in saying a link setup is ideal,but a monoleaf will work.i had mine for years and no problems.it is not as smooth as aride as a link setup but its fine.are you notching it? you said you didnt want to cut the floor so im asuming your not going to cut the frame.with 22s your not gonna get a whole lot of drop.if anything you should least do just the front or just the rear and do it rightand save up and do the other half later. you can check out my link below an see how i did mine
    aim*DRAGGINHARDCORE

bagged an dragged

some clips of me draggin
    http://www.hornblasters.com/vide.php?pic=19
    HARDCOREMINIS.net
    pics of my blazer an other stuff
    community.webshots.com/user/thumperc25
    http://www.cardomain.com/profile/thumperc25
    4 door love

mono leafs are known to be durable.
    you get what you put it as always

Like I said on S10 forum do it right the first time. Just do it in steps.
    Laid out Blazer X!!! :D TwIzTeD iNtEnTiOns- Ohio
    http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n102/GOTDUBZ/

i ran bi-leaf for 2 years no problom, just fourlinked it thoe

In regards to a 4dr 00blazer what will be the difference in doing a mono-leaf, 2 link, 3 link, or 4link to the rear? I meant things like:
    Ride quality??
    How low it can lay or lock-up high??
    Durablility/reliability??
    Different ways you can move the truck (3-wheel,side2side)??

Or any other info that can help better understand the difference between them all and how to determine whats best to go with. Thanks

i ran a mono leaf w/ my 22s out back for 4 years with NO problems. you don't need a notch either. your tires will hit the wheel well out back before the axel hits the frame. is a mono leaf the best idea?.. no. but will it work fine if done right? absolutely. you just gotta remember, ur not drivin a race car. you will have axel wrap unless you have a ton of pressure in the bags (that'll stiffen everything up). and as far as whoever said not to 3wheel with a monoleaf has no idea what they are talking about. mine would 3wheel 2 feet. did it all the time.. oh and NOTHING BROKE.. EVER.
    <-my avatar shows how low you will get in the back......not very. lol

differences are:
    monoleaf - not a permanant option, axel wrap, and won't get as low.
    2link - no side to side (except for bushing give), hard on the truck, but will work. and is the cheapest option short of a monoleaf
    3link - like a cross between a 2link and 4link. works ok
    reverse 4link - BAD BAD BAD! yes they work (so don't hate), but unless you drive backwards all the time i wouldn't recommend it.
    parallel 4link - not really ideal for a bagged ride, but again yes they do work. these work best in race setups where the suspension doesn't have 8+ inches of travel
    triangulated 4link - best bet. safest, most complient to a bagged ride.

that help?
    stupid low. layin door on a 22/24 combo, comin soon to a street near you

Quote Originally Posted by [meph] View Post
    i ran a mono leaf w/ my 22s out back for 4 years with NO problems. you don't need a notch either. your tires will hit the wheel well out back before the axel hits the frame. is a mono leaf the best idea?.. no. but will it work fine if done right? absolutely. you just gotta remember, ur not drivin a race car. you will have axel wrap unless you have a ton of pressure in the bags (that'll stiffen everything up). and as far as whoever said not to 3wheel with a monoleaf has no idea what they are talking about. mine would 3wheel 2 feet. did it all the time.. oh and NOTHING BROKE.. EVER.
    <-my avatar shows how low you will get in the back......not very. lol

differences are:
    monoleaf - not a permanant option, axel wrap, and won't get as low.
    2link - no side to side (except for bushing give), hard on the truck, but will work. and is the cheapest option short of a monoleaf
    3link - like a cross between a 2link and 4link. works ok
    reverse 4link - BAD BAD BAD! yes they work (so don't hate), but unless you drive backwards all the time i wouldn't recommend it.
    parallel 4link - not really ideal for a bagged ride, but again yes they do work. these work best in race setups where the suspension doesn't have 8+ inches of travel
    triangulated 4link - best bet. safest, most complient to a bagged ride.

that help?
    Thanks alot. That did help. Do you (or anyone else) have pictures of what a triangulated 4link setup looks like. Preferably on a 4DR 2ND GEN Blazer but anyother would do as well.

hate to steal the thread but it does pertain to the solution of this topic.

Would this work well in a 2dr. 1st Gen Blazer
    http://suicidedoors.com/SuperLiftTri...d4-LinkKit.php

I'm going to be using a 2.25 or whatnot bolt in notch or half a monster notch.

this is my reverse b4 i installed it, for a normal 4 link picture all the bars faceing frontwards (mine are reversed) i lay frame with this reverse cando 4link and a 10" on 22's