Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vortec heads and roller rockers

vortec heads and roller rockers

so the l05 heads are killing me and its time to upgrade to a set of vortecs.

since im going to be doing heads and intake i might as well do some 1.6 roller rockers as well right.

so im looking for some suggestions on brands of rockers. main concerns are that its stays fairly cheep under 250ish. and be dependable enough for DD status seeing as how i drive my truck as much as possible weather permitting

thanks
    -mark

Banned
    im doing the exact same thing you are next season. If i remember right the spring seats are gonna need cut with that much lift.

No help on brand. I know the comp ones are good but hella expensive im sure.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    im doing the exact same thing you are next season. If i remember right the spring seats are gonna need cut with that much lift.

No help on brand. I know the comp ones are good but hella expensive im sure.
    yup im doing heads RR and intake

ive heard a lot about the comp pro mags but im not spending 360 on 16 rockers. thats more then im paying for the heads/headwork

fuck thats even more the the GMPP vortec to tbi intake

do you have center bolt heads?
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

and or self aligning?
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

i ask b/c this makes a difference......i just did mine and they are center bolt, self aligning and i used the crane narrow body self aligning...they cost $$$ but, i found a set on ebay that a guy used for about 3 months and parted out his 350 b/c he wanted a big block for more power...saved me money
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

None of those will work with centerbolt heads and if you have guide plates stick with a non self aligning rocker arm.
    Unfortunately to get quality roller rockers your gonna have to fork out around $300 for ones that fit centerbolt heads.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

Are you planning on going past 7000? why not get stamped rockers?

Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    do you have center bolt heads?
    Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    and or self aligning?
    vortecs are center bolt and need self aligning

Quote Originally Posted by slammins15 View Post
    None of those will work with centerbolt heads and if you have guide plates stick with a non self aligning rocker arm.
    Unfortunately to get quality roller rockers your gonna have to fork out around $300 for ones that fit centerbolt heads.
    i wasnt aware that vortecs could run guide plates. ill have to look into maybe doing a screw in stud conversion with guide plates

Quote Originally Posted by s10blaza View Post
    Are you planning on going past 7000? why not get stamped rockers?
    i want a full roller rokcer. im trying to get as much out of my stock short block as possible

Banned
    screw 1.6's im getting the xe268 cam for my lift. :)

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    screw 1.6's im getting the xe268 cam for my lift. :)
    well the whole point of roller rockers is reduced friction.

so if i take a stock roller short block and add an lt1 cam and vortecs and roller rockers that would be a prety stout motor

vortec heads are the best flow production head on the market. they even flow better then the 1996 vette/f body aluminum heads.

(iron vortecs are based off the caprice iron lt1 head aluminum lt1 heads are based off the iron caprice head as well but gm had the iron vortecs in development for longer so they got more tweaking)

Fully Erect Member
    regular vortecs or fast burn? fast burns from what i seen are worth the money. suprisingly i've put a set on a L69 305 with a stout cam that made a liveable 390 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazin View Post
    regular vortecs or fast burn? fast burns from what i seen are worth the money. suprisingly i've put a set on a L69 305 with a stout cam that made a liveable 390 hp.
    vortecs are fast burns

they have a fast burn chamber.

i thought all vortecs were center bolt........but yes you can drill and tap your heads for guide plates and use non self-aligning rockers.............you have to drill the heads anyway to enlarge the pushrod holes......they need to be drilled one drill bit size bigger, because the 1.6s move the push rods in a bit so you have to clearence them............and the vortecs just aren't aluminum, that is the only difference between the fast burn and the stock vortecs

and while you have the heads off....i got mine cleaned and re-vavled....when i filled the intake and exhaust ports with water(on a bench, not on the motor) i found that i had 1 exhaust and 2 intake valves leaking.....and i had a set of LS1 heavy duty valve springs put on makes my valve lift good to .600, shich i most likely will not get to............but the 1.6s will about max out the stock valve springs....so if a cam is in the future which is sounds like it is...put some better springs on there while it is apart....

sorry for the short book...i just did the 1.6s so i have a lot of input right now
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me