Thread: If I were to block off my EGR!!!

If I were to block off my EGR!!!

Ok, I want to block off my EGR and i want to know if i do that is anything major going to happen? 90 jimmy 4.3 non vortec.......

probably a loss in fuel economy, and heavy carbon buildup. The egr valve is in place to recirculate exhaust gasses, to improve fuel economy. exhaust carries carbon in it, and it would build up where it's blocked off. I could be wrong though. Is it clogging on you? If its vacuum, replace the valve and solenoid, they are fairly cheap. If electric, try cleaning it out with some 2+2 or the like, breaking loose and stuck carbon. Re-install it and if it clogs up or gets stuck again, replace it with an after market OEM-type replacement, which can be obtained at pep boys, autozone and the like for about $100. If you are interested, HELP! makes egr gaskets with chicken wire in the inlet hole to prevent most heavy buildup (though these gaskets can clog themselves).
    I wrote a how to on the electric egr clean/swap not too long ago, and if vacuum, I couldn't imagine it being much different. That can be found here:
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71248

Hope that helps
    -jeff

Wow, jeff Thank you so much, i am going to run up to AZ and get a new egr valve and just replace it there 34 bucks, and the solenoiid

i just took mine out.......i didn't want nasty exhaust going into my intake......on my vortec motor there's a tube that runs from the header to the intake.....the EGR controls the exhaust from there.....my intake was disgusting, all black inside from the exhaust........now it stays clean......and i have to get it tuned for noe EGR...just my .02
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me