Thread: A Ford question for you day to day mechanics

A Ford question for you day to day mechanics

I've recently been driving my dads 2001 F150, 4.2 while my T/A is getting painted. This morning I noticed that while idling the oil pressure gauge goes down to zero for a few seconds then goes back to normal. Once I let it warm up it stops. It just did it again when I turned it on to go home for lunch. This time I gave it a few revs and nothing then a few seconds later it just went back up to normal. Oil level was about a half a quart low so I topped it off. It only has 54K miles on it. A quick google search has several of these occurences but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

It didn't start knocking or even feel like it lost oil pressure at all. I'm just a little worried since we're trying to sell it. Any ideas?

oil pressure switch is bad, the same thing was happenin to my 4.3 blazer and i put an oil pressure switch in it and it worked fine

Knob Noster Occupation: Pimping you out. Photoshop Diety.

Check the wiring on the oil pressure switch, it sounds like you're losing a connection. When the switch goes bad it usually pegs open, or closed.

when mine went bad it was bouncing all over the place

Banned
    ive had several taurus's and a few ford pickups come in that did that. All were the oil sending unit. Seems to be kinda a common thing on fords i guess from what ive seen.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

It did that on my F-350. The gauge would sometimes read correct and other days it would read 0. I would replace it though, I drove with like for awhile, then the entire unit broke open and I had a major oil leak.
    87 S-10 Blazer
    406ci
    8.5 Rear

well that makes me feel better, i'm going to snatch one off work today