Thread: 1993 gmc jimmy 4-wheel drive wont engage

1993 gmc jimmy 4-wheel drive wont engage

It has the V-6 CPI engine in it. when I hit the switch both 4 hi and 4 low the transfer case engages and it spins the drive shaft up to my front differential but the front wheels wont lock..... so I look at the actuator under the battery and its getting vacuum and when I hit the switch it draws in so the actuator is working…. So I’m stuck can any one help me out?????

I have the same problem!?!

Check the other end of the cable at the diff to be sure its moving, could be a broken cable.

the cable is not broke.. is there anyway that the shift fork could be stuck??
    i had a had time getting it engaged in the summer but when it went in it was loud when the fron axel locked and it hasent worked since.........

hey my brothers pickup had the same problem . under the truck on the transfer case there's a vacuum switch that srew on top of the t-case it has 3 vacuum lines change that it cost about $15 and your 4x4 should work

Quote Originally Posted by 89 kid View Post
    hey my brothers pickup had the same problem . under the truck on the transfer case there's a vacuum switch that srew on top of the t-case it has 3 vacuum lines change that it cost about $15 and your 4x4 should work
    Before you replace this just run a good vacuum source to the actuator and see if it engages. I had a similar problem with my 99. I ended up unbolting the tube from the pass side of the front diff. With it unbolted I shook the crap out of it while pulling on the cable and having someone slowly rotate the pass side front wheel. It eventually popped in and has had no problem going in and out ever since. Not sure what the hold up in there was and I really don't care as long as it keeps working.

-Matt

I will give it a try.... but i pulled on the cable and unscrewed it from the diff. the vaccume was working it pulled the diaphram in and the cable moved about 1\4 in but that was about it..... i am going to try to check it...thanks