Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone replaced the blower motor for the heater??

Cops- just leave us alone IB LOAF N's Avatar

Has anyone replaced the blower motor for the heater??

Need to know if my blower motor is bad. Compared to my car and van the first two settings suck. The only one I can really feel is the highest one. Is this the way the blazers are?? I have a 1996 blazer, its starting to get cold so I want to make sure Im going to have some good heat. Help!!!!!!!

The blower motor on my '91 is pretty damn weak as well. I've considered maybe replacing it with a more powerful motor, just never attempted it.

On my 97 the 1st 2 settings do nothing the other 2 are normal. I am just leaving it because I don't know whether the switch or the motor is screwed.I think its probably the switch though.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

I've replaced my switch and also my heater core. I still only have luke warm air at the highest setting. It's okay till the temp drops below 32 degrees then I'm screwed unless I get my eskimo jacket. Somebody help me!!!!!!!

Is your coolant level good and have you ever had your system flushed?

Check the resistors alot of times they go bad and you end up changing everypart in your heating system when 70 percent of the time its resistors 15 percent of the time its the fan on the motor and not the motor unless its making noise and 15 percent of the time its the switch. Also could be the blend air door which controls the flow of cold/hot air depending on what year you speak of... Try unplugging your A/C compressor if it gets hot sitting still but then gets cold when you get to 55 mph then thats your problem.

I've also replaced the radiator too. So I did drain and refill the antifreeze, don't know if that qualifies for a flush or not? The level is at the cap and the overflow is full. I tried the disconnect of the ac compressor and the heat doesn't ever get beyond lukewarm. Thermostat is also brand new.

Can your hear the blend air door move when you turn the cold/hot dial? youll hear a slight... forgive me "woosh" of a vaccum actuator or just the slight sound of friction from the door moving and the foam rubbing if its electric, if you turn the knob from full cold to full hot quickly and wait. Make sure its quiet when your listening. The doors probably stuck on full cold and just venting your hot air outside... Hows the defroster work? Does the heater blow air at all? Can you hear any vaccum leaks? Have you checked for loose or unplugged vaccum lines? Have you ever used block sealant of any kind IE bars leak etc..?
    Last edited by Veritas; 12-17-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slammins15 View Post
    On my 97 the 1st 2 settings do nothing the other 2 are normal. I am just leaving it because I don't know whether the switch or the motor is screwed.I think its probably the switch though.
    this definitely sounds like resistors theres a different resistor for each level so if 2 dont work and 2 do you might wanna look at them. There under a little panel with a plug coming out of it on the top of the heater box should have two 7mm screws. You can check your switch by touching each prong on the plug with a test light while changing settings on the switch.
    Last edited by Veritas; 12-17-2007 at 11:35 PM.

I can hear a sound like the door when I switch the levels where you want the heat. As far as the resistors you kinda of lost me. To be more clear the first two levels of heat do work, it just don't really fluff your hair. It's kinda like the vent with no air on in the summer.

if it never blows cold and always blows hot on 4 different settings with 4 different flow patterns then its operating correctly try getting a 180 thermostat and/or checking if you put the other one in correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    this definitely sounds like resistors theres a different resistor for each level so if 2 dont work and 2 do you might wanna look at them. There under a little panel with a plug coming out of it on the top of the heater box should have two 7mm screws. You can check your switch by touching each prong on the plug with a test light while changing settings on the switch.

Is it that way for my 97 with the little panel I don't recall any access on the top of the heater box. I know to change the heater motor you have to cut the box apart.

It's always blown lukewarm on any setting, never hot. In the summer the ac is just a little cold but never chilly like most trucks Ive been in. Don't know if that is related but I figure that I would throw that out there too. The thermostat is a stant the original temp. (180?), Is it possible to put it in the wrong way??

Quote Originally Posted by IB LOAF N View Post
    It's always blown lukewarm on any setting, never hot. In the summer the ac is just a little cold but never chilly like most trucks Ive been in. Don't know if that is related but I figure that I would throw that out there too. The thermostat is a stant the original temp. (180?), Is it possible to put it in the wrong way??
    sometimes you can have it in on an offset and water will get by on one side. Climate controls general rule is that whatever the temperature outside, if your heater/ac changes that 30 degrees up/down then its working ie if its 30 outside and you get to 60 then your in good shape or 95 and you get to 65 so on...

Quote Originally Posted by slammins15 View Post
    Is it that way for my 97 with the little panel I don't recall any access on the top of the heater box. I know to change the heater motor you have to cut the box apart.
    Last one i did was about 6 months ago on a 96 and it had that. Follow the power wires from behind the blower motor switch and it should lead you too it.