Thread: Anyone know where to find engine swap laws for emmision states?

Anyone know where to find engine swap laws for emmision states?

Looking for a site that tells specifics of what the rules on engine swaps are in states with emmision laws. Not CA.

just register it in a county that doesnt have emissions. i have a small block in my blazer, its registered in yakima county.

idk what kind of motor you are doing but if it will pass emissions there is a chance they wouldn't make you lift the hood.
    let me know if you want to sell your 4.3 for cheap too. haha.
    Last edited by ir1d3d1rt; 12-29-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    it would be easier with more money.

my project thread

I know around here you need to put in somthing of the same year or newer... They have limits for each year on emissions... So if you have a 83 that is carb'd then you should be good. But if you have a 89 with tbi then you need the same...

Do a search on Google, for your states inspection criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by low86blazer View Post
    Do a search on Google, for your states inspection criteria.

+1

also you need to constantly check the laws and stuff cuz they always change.

when i started getting into cars stl said only a motor that was offered by the manufacturer for that year and chassis.

few months later it was changed to anything smog legal. meaning i can swap anything that chassis year or newer as long as all the emissions BS is there.

now emission is gone all together

im so glad i dont have to do emmisions
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    +1

also you need to constantly check the laws and stuff cuz they always change.

when i started getting into cars stl said only a motor that was offered by the manufacturer for that year and chassis.

few months later it was changed to anything smog legal. meaning i can swap anything that chassis year or newer as long as all the emissions BS is there.

now emission is gone all together
    Ok so what if i put in a genIII small block this year and pass, then next year a gen III isnt legal in my truck anymore would i have to take it out?

Also registering in a different county... do i have to know someone that lives there and use thier address or what?

If you register in a diffrent county youd be using an address that they can send the plate sticker too, and other information. You just can't say i live in dickhead county and thats that.

If you did do a swap and they for some reason changed the laws next year usually itll be grandfathered which means anything past the date of the new bill becoming a law would not be allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

When i lived in Vancouver i think thats were you said u lived my blazer wouldnt pass so i wet and got a po box in a place not far from vancouver that didnt have deq and just did it there
    Member Of Ridiculous Rides's Portland Or.
    Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    its ok i rode the short bus too

The most reasonable law to hope for across the boards is to allow older vehicles to run a newer engine with the emision equipment for that year engine.

The ultimate would be a special license plate which allows limited milage for show type vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Ok so what if i put in a genIII small block this year and pass, then next year a gen III isnt legal in my truck anymore would i have to take it out?

Also registering in a different county... do i have to know someone that lives there and use thier address or what?
    well you wouldnt have to pull it out, it just would never be able to be street legal again

i believe as long as you build to CARB specs, you should be able to pass anything.
    Otter fan club CEO

Originally posted by SpikesBlazin
    dont worry i like them black too. :omg:
    "A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in GOD."
    Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Depending on the state, as long as the engine is as new or newer and all emissions for year of vehicle or newer are present....all should be good. But we are dealing with government Bravo Sierra so one never really knows! I installed a older engine with newer emissions so I hope they don't call me on it. Good luck on it!
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe

when I lived in missouri, I had a tbi 305 in my camaro, and swapped it for a older carbed 350 and it passed. didnt even pop my hood, but then again, older camaro's are a grey area, since very few seem to remember when they switched from carb to TBI to TPI in the same body style

good luck man, as far as I know, most states just require a newer engine, with the smog shit. Google it though.
    DD - 2002 GMC Sierra ECLB 5.3l 2wd *330hp, 350ftlbs at the wheels*
    Toy - 2004 Pontiac GTO 1 of 323 *too much power for a purple car*
    Project(s) - Something with two wheels.