Thread: Proper watts link alignment?

Proper watts link alignment?

OK so i have a couple of questions about watts links now...

1. On the center link of the watts link will a regular poly 4 link bushing work for the center pivot or will it wear too quickly? If it wont work whats the best thing to use... I know all the ones that Ive seen stock on crown vics and pt cruisers kinda look like a ball and socket like a tie rod...

2. How does the length of the center link effect the operation of the watts link.

3. In the quickly put together illustration below which is the proper way to align the bars at ride height?
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. A polyurethane bushing should work ok provided it is of adequate width.

2. The shorter the link the lower it can be mounted effectively lowering the roll center. Probably something you are not concerned with but ill throw it out there anyways.. The longer the length the stronger it will need to be built to sustain the added leverage of the lateral load of the vehicle.

3. Either way will work but parallel links and a vertical bellcrank would be the optimal setup imho. In the second configuration the bushings will be subjected to more movement resulting in premature wear over a long period of time. Also it may just be me but I would think having the horizontals angled would act as a lever pushing/pulling the car up or down as it drives through corners. (anyone that has done any performance driving in a vehicle with an inadequately set up PHB knows what I am talking about here)
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

1. Bushings may work but sealed bearings are better. Jim at Fays2 sells the propeller (bell crank) for $60.
    http://www.fays2.net/
    2. If you are referring to the bell crank size, larger = more vertical travel of the suspension while keeping centered. That is why Totally Polished's bell crank is so large. It gives 12" of axle movement while keeping it centered.

3. The correct pic is the top one. You want the links level and the bell crank plumb at ride height. Basically keep the links parallel as said.

Quote Originally Posted by 87wildside View Post

2. If you are referring to the bell crank size, larger = more vertical travel of the suspension while keeping centered. That is why Totally Polished's bell crank is so large. It gives 12" of axle movement while keeping it centered.

3. The correct pic is the top one. You want the links level and the bell crank plumb at ride height. Basically keep the links parallel as said.

x2

I could argue either way on the pivot point, I'd make it match the rest of your rod ends

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    good link. i had another one about watts links but i cant seem to find it right now
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.