Thread: dropping the jimmy

dropping the jimmy

i have a 2000 jimmy 2Dr 2WD. I am dropping it 2" in the front with springs and 3" in the back with blocks. I have 2 month old shocks on it now. Would i need to get new shocks? Also will i need to get an alignment after the drop?

thanks

yes and yes
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

whats the negative effects if i dont do this right away?

thanks for the reply

No alignment -- ruin your tires, vehicle will pull all over the road, overall not good for front end.:nono:

Shocks -- Front, stock shocks wont fit unless forced which will ruin them and driving without shocks is like driving an old caddy. rear shocks... I think stock shocks will work with blocks but someone correct me if I'm wrong...?
    Jake

Typhoon:boink:
    Originally posted by lowblazin94
    Plus they can't arrest you or get a DUI while you have a boner.

ok thanks for the reply. i have the springs and blocks and i just ordered 2 front drop shocks for around 40$ each. a friend of mine told me i didnt NEED them on the back but i had to get them for the front. but also that same friend told me he didnt align his Colorado after he lowered it and its doing fine. but i think id rather be safe and get the alignment.does anyone know about this...i got my tires from sears and i have a 1 year alignment. if i lower my jimmy then bring it in would they align it still if they dont know i just lowered it? cause this would save me some money.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    drop shocks are the exact same size as a stock shock Im not sure where the fuck everyone gets that info from. Your front suspension bottoms out way before your shock ever will. Drop shocks are just a little stiffer which will keep your truck from bottoming out as much if going very low, they will also provide a "tighter" feel to help with the drop. BUt if you have new shocks, id leave them all the same

so your saying i dont have to replace my shocks?

because i can cancel the order and save my money from the shocks.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    personally, no i woudnt. I have regular ole air shocks on the rear of my truck, with 3 inch leaf springs and 3 inch blocks. Last static truck i did the guy had a 5 inch drop in the front with cheapy replacement front shocks. He drove on it like that for atleast 5 years with no problems

nice. thanks man. i just canceled my order. if i need to later i can always buy new shocks after the drop. so for now i can save that money.

yeah with that drop it should be cool leaving stock shocks.. I would suggest checking ball joints and tie rods when its apart
    Last edited by Barebackjimmy; 04-01-2009 at 04:23 PM.

I dropped both my S-10 and my Silverado with 2" springs and neither pulled or needed new shocks
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Deff get the frontend aligned. Dropping it will change the camber and does effect the toe-end. Like BarebackJimmy said while you have it apart check over the ball joints and steering components and even give the wheel bearing a check and repacking. If it's a high mileage ride it's probly due this. Better to be safe than sorry and alot of work saved later.
    Dale

85 S10 Blazer
    86 S15 Jimmy
    93 S10 Blazer
    99 S10 Blazer 4x4
    65 2-door Chevelle wagon

thanks for the replys. as for the ball joints and wheel bearing i changed the joints about a month ago on both sides and greased the bearings but il be sure to check them again since it will be apart anyway.