Thread: Loose steering???

Cops- just leave us alone IB LOAF N's Avatar

Loose steering???

My Blazer sucks when it comes to the steering. It's not that tight feel like in my car. I have 108,000 miles on it, I just got new tires on the fronts and the mechanic told me that the idler arm was bad. So I replaced it myself and did a alignment. Can't tell if it did anything, I always have a squeak or squeal when I back up and turn out of my garage. Can this be the pitman arm? or my tie rods?? There is really no play in the steering wheel when I turn it and when the wheels turn. Anybody whose had this problem or can diagnose this would greatly be appreciated. Money's tight so I don't just want to get something I don't need, but I don't want to get in a wreck because I couldn't steer my truck. :confused:

Blazer at heart
    Quote Originally Posted by IB LOAF N View Post
    There is really no play in the steering wheel when I turn it and when the wheels turn.
    :confused: If there's no play in the steering wheel when you turn it, then it sounds like everything is fine.

If there's a squeak and squeal when you back up out of your garage, have a look at the lower ball joints. Check to see if your shocks are origional and leaking. Shocks are usually recommended to be replaced around 80K. I did mine at 115000Km and it seemed to stop the body roll I was having when I turned.

Did you do the sway bar bushings or the end links? how are they lookin.

I have been told that Blazer and S series naturally have a slight dead spot in the steering wheel where you move the wheel and nothing happens and I think it can be adjusted down by the steering box. Hope some of this helps, I couldn't really gather what the issue was from your post though.

If your steering is loose, its most likely due to worn out rag joint. The best and easiest way that I have seen to fix it is to cut off the rag joint and replace it with u-joint.
    VLAD

My 95

your comparing a SUV to some kind of car? The ratios, vehical size/ weight will all effect the turning Until you do some mods, smaller wheel quick ratio box yadda yadda itll feel like a boat.

But from what ive seen second gens do seem to have a bit of slop, not in the rag joint, but somewhere in the column that a few of us can not figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by x_concepts View Post
    If your steering is loose, its most likely due to worn out rag joint. The best and easiest way that I have seen to fix it is to cut off the rag joint and replace it with u-joint.
    I've got a steering shaft on Ebay to replace the rag joint. Check it out.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...CA:MOTORS:1123