Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 Super Beetle - 355 SBC / th350

V8 Super Beetle - 355 SBC / th350

I managed to squeeze some time in to work on the bug this weekend. I pulled the frame out from under the car and swept up the messy floor. I then put down my first coat of MasterSeries silver using a brush. It went on pretty easily with minimal surface prep. I knocked off most of the loose rust with a wire brush. It turned out pretty nice.

Here's a link to the Master Series paint site.
    http://www.masterseriesct.com/

Inexpensive and good stuff.

Re-subscribe, lol.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

Quote Originally Posted by oxsign View Post
    Re-subscribe, lol.
    LOL! What happened? Oh, well.

The system crash, and I think your old thread was lost, maybe?
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

Quote Originally Posted by oxsign View Post
    The system crash, and I think your old thread was lost, maybe?
    definitely

good to see you back

Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    definitely

good to see you back
    Thanks man! No big deal if it's lost. I'll start where I left off. Here's a link to my build incase anyone wants to see previous progress.

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20426

Quick update...

I bought some more new parts. Seems like there's always something else to buy. Parts I got to finish up the motor, tranny, rear diff, and chassis:

Hydraulic lifters, some lube for the lifters, short water pump - aluminum alt. bracket (mounts up top), starter, B&M street shift kit for the th350, adjustable modulator, B&M drain plug for tranny, bushings for tranny, tranny cooler, intermediate tranny band, all new shocks, bearings / seals, rear brake hose, and diff gasket / gear oil. I think that's all...?

Also, during this week I've sand blasted all the a-arms, put on a second coat of master serires on the frame, and I sprayed some glossy black automotive Rust-o-leum in the areas that are hard / impossible to reach with a brush.

One of the sand blasted a-arms

I'll have plenty of time tomorrow and Saturday to put down the final coat of Master Series glossy black chassis paint and hopefully I'll begin putting it all back together!

More to come Monday.

Moments ago the engineer here at my work and I removed ALL the old bushings and the ball joints from the upper A arms. I plan to "rent-a-tool" from autozone to remove the lower ball joints.

I'll have more soon...

Not the most fun job. I have a 12 ton press all kinds of press stuff and I still ended up spinning some custom press drivers to keep it square.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    Not the most fun job. I have a 12 ton press all kinds of press stuff and I still ended up spinning some custom press drivers to keep it square.
    Getting all the bushing back in isn't a picnic either. Although, the ball joint press I rented from Auto make the job really easy remove the lower ball joints. It was tough pressing the new ones in though, but I got it all done.

OK, I've got the frame completely painted in the Master Series glossy chassis black as well as the front suspension. Also, I installed all new bushings, and ball joints in the control arms. Next is to put the front suspension together and begin working on the rear suspension.

More later...

looks like a nice shine.

Quote Originally Posted by low86blazer View Post
    looks like a nice shine.
    Yeah, it came out pretty nice. If I would've had it sand blasted it would've come out really slick looking. I'm happy with the results though.

Got some work done to the bug. Actually, I put in about 10 hrs time, but it really feels like I didn't get a whole lot done. Getting in the coil springs, even with a compressor, was a real pain without the full weight of an engine or the vehicle to help, but I got it done. That took up most my time.

I sand blasted the front leaf spring mounts.

And some misc. parts.

Misc parts painted.

I didn't realize just how bad the cabinet sand blaster at my work was clogged up until our engineer saw just how slow the process was taking. We filtered out the beads, put it back in, and it worked like a champ. I kinda thought it was taking forever and it wasn't really doing a great job of removing all the rust, but what do I know? I don't do this everyday and can't really complain because my work allows me to use some of their equipment. Any who, it works much better.

Here's the steering linkage sandblasted.

Linkage with new tie rods installed and painted.

Leaf mounts painted. You can see in this picture just how much I had to cut out of the heater channels. Quite a bit.

And here's the frame as of this weekend. Control arms installed with new bushings and ball joints. Coil springs painted and installed. New shocks installed. Lowered 2" spindles. Sway bar painted and installed with new bushings and new sway linkage.

Thats about as far as I got. More later.

Got some more work done this week and weekend. This will be kinda short because I smashed my finger working on the car this weekend. Leaf spring fell on it. Good thing it's my ring finger that I use to play guitar with and it's a good thing I DOn't have a couple shows to play this coming friday and sat. It's all good though. That's why we have four fingers.

Here's a pic of the wheels Ray lent me so I can compare to see if I'll like my wheels black. These are the same wheels and these are for the rear. 18" x 9.5 Thanks Ray!

I thoroughly cleaned the wheel bearings, thrust washer and castle nut to later find out I had bought new bearings. ::) Well, the bearings were in really good shape so I'll hang onto them, put new ones in, for future maintenance.

Painted the spindle and dust cover and installed.

Sand blasted the calipers.

Took them apart to clean them and found a good bit of corrosion. Notice the rust on the dust boot.

I cleaned them and then blasted the inners to find out that one of the pistons had some corrosion which gave me doubts about using for rebuild. So I just bought a new caliper for $10 from the Zone.

Bearings packed, new seal, and rotor assembly installed with the good ol 2" spacers. Tire rod / steering linkage installed too. Front susp. finished.

I started finishing up the rear suspension but smashed my finger. So I called it a day. After removing the rear diff cover. Finger didn't slow me down really. Just ran out of time really.

Alright, alright...(in my best Matthew Maconha voice) Progress.

Sandblasted the diff cover inside / out and the shock / u-bolt mount.

Drained the gear oil, which didn't look too bad, and added the new stuff after scraping away all the old gasket, on the diff cover and matting surface, with a gasket scraper.

I sand blasted the diff cover at work. Here it is installed. I used some of edelbrock's gasket sealer on both mating surfaces to ensure it seals up nicely.

Here the rear is after a good wire brushing and painting with some Master Series. It came out decent even though there still was some build up I couldn't remove. Seals still must be good cause there was no leakage after it staying like that for days.

Painted the shock mounts, leaf springs, and shackles.

Here's a picture of the completed rear. Well, minus the shock tower bolts which I later added. Everything is hand tight for now cause the rear will need washers or something to make up for the extra space left by the .5" narrower leaf springs. Once the body is secured and I have the 18"s on I'll do a final setup of the rear diff.

I had decide that I would move the front leaf mounts forward and move the rear back on the leaf springs to make up for it. I did this to help keep the shackles away from the fenders. They were an inch away from the fenders with the way it was previously setup. Well, that didn't work out so well. Here's the front mount moved forward 2". I drilled 1/2" holes to secure the mounts and drill an over size hole so I could mount the Isuzu leafs. The 3/4" were not cheap. :) They look manly though.