Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 Super Beetle - 355 SBC / th350

A little more info about my 383 parts selection. Same as above, but more cubes.

Eagle internal balance 3.75" stroke crank. Part #103503750I
    Speed Pro 4.030" -12 cc dish pistons. Part #ZH859CP30
    HN Series Clevite77 bearings (narrowed performance bearing). Standard sized bearing wont work. Ask me how I know. :)
    Stack of parts equals 9" (5.7" rod, half crank stroke is 1.875, plus 1.425 piston compression height)
    I had the decks set to 9.020 and I'm using a FelPro .015 x 4.1 shim head gasket #1094 to arrive at .035 squish.
    Compression ratio with these parts is 10.4:1

nice, brings back memories, but with way more problems haha, see you now learned that its worth it to pay more first instead of cheap then having to buy expensive after.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Sounds good should be a wild ride in that bug.

hate to be the unoptimistic one but with 3" blocks and no traction aids you are due for some wheel hop, even with good shocks. At least with the bug you are better off than a S10 truck, probably comparable or slightly worse than a blazer

I'm not particularly convinced that a 278 duration cam with only a 450 lift and vortec heads will make 420 HP.

With anything over 350 hp IMO, you have eventually 7 5/8" rearend issues, although some people don't.

Wishing you well, but based on my experience I'm suggesting just a tinge of doubt in case your expectations are not met right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by low86blazer View Post
    nice, brings back memories, but with way more problems haha, see you now learned that its worth it to pay more first instead of cheap then having to buy expensive after.
    This is true. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Skully View Post
    Sounds good should be a wild ride in that bug.
    I can't wait to see how it'll act. Should be lots of fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    hate to be the unoptimistic one but with 3" blocks and no traction aids you are due for some wheel hop, even with good shocks. At least with the bug you are better off than a S10 truck, probably comparable or slightly worse than a blazer

I'm not particularly convinced that a 278 duration cam with only a 450 lift and vortec heads will make 420 HP.

With anything over 350 hp IMO, you have eventually 7 5/8" rearend issues, although some people don't.

Wishing you well, but based on my experience I'm suggesting just a tinge of doubt in case your expectations are not met right off the bat.
    I do plan to buy some different blocks. The adjustable type and might go with a 2" block and remove one of the leafs out of the spring pack. As far as traction aids I plan to fabricate something very similar to CalTracs. That should take care of wheel hop.

I know what you mean. From my understanding is vortec heads flow best between .450-.5" of lift. The duration of the cam I have 234 @ .050 lift. I'm going by a "dyno proven" build. With the parts I listed in a 350 made 410 hp. Difference with my engine is an addition 33 cubes. I've never seen a dyno sheet, but the guy that put this selection of parts together is a very reputable engine builder and there is at least one person I know of who followed this build and is very happy with the outcome.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/holy...788+350+vortec

See last post.

I agree. I'm skeptical about how well the rear will hold up. I plan to do some testing a the track before getting it out on the road. I do plan to install a 8.8 Explorer rear. I might do that before I get it going being how inexpensive they are. That and the rear I have now has 3.08 gears and I would like at least a 3.73 gear. I'd rather sell the working S10 unit and have some cash to go towards the 8.8.

I understand. I appreciate you looking out.

Just about finished. All that's left to do is prime the oil system, install the distributor, install carb / air cleaner, press on the damper, install lower pulley, and setup the alternator. Not necessarily in that order. I've added the Crane Cams Super Lube cam break in oil suppliment and Rotella T oil.

The plan is to get these things done during this week.

houston-streets.com vortec owner's Avatar
    damn that nice work wish i had skills like you hopefully when you finished you can post a youtube video

Quote Originally Posted by vortec owner View Post
    damn that nice work wish i had skills like you hopefully when you finished you can post a youtube video
    I will definitely post a video when I fire the engine. I still have to run plumbing from the front to rear where the radiator will be mounted before I can. I'll keep you posted.

Almost there. I'm so close to finishing I can here it start. :) This past weekend I moved into my new house so I really didn't have too much time to work on it. Also, part of the hold up is I'm having to search for a 7/16-20 4" grade 8 bolt to hold on the harmonic damper, also so I can rotate the engine while priming it and so I can set the #1 piston to TDC so I can drop in dizzy and set the initial timing . Other than that it's about 98% complete.

This weekend, hopefully Saturday, I'm going to drop the engine in the bug for the first time. Mainly cause I have to get it out of the complex by the end of the month. So my goal is to get it home this weekend which is right down the street. I've installed the motor mounts and frame pads, not pictured, and the engine is just about ready to be dropped in.

houston-streets.com vortec owner's Avatar
    thats pretty

Well, the plan was to get it in this weekend. If it isn't one thing it's another. I didn't get the motor in this weekend much less did I get the car home. My old man and I couldn't get a hold of my uncle whom has the engine hoist we need to borrow. So the move was put off until next weekend. I'm going to try and borrow one from my mechanic. So hopefully I'll get it home sooner than this weekend.

Some pics of the engine 98% complete. Just need to install small stuff like vacuum hose for the dist., pcv valve, put the oil sender unit back in (manual one installed for pre-oil which is pictured).

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    engine looks great!

Thanks! I bought me an engine hoist last night so I'm going to put her in for the first time tonight.