Thread: lets talk about headers for the V8 guys

lets talk about headers for the V8 guys

so like 90% of the people out there i have sanderson 1.5" shorty swap headers.

judgin by what the fullsize guys say im leaving a LOT of unclaimed power out there due to shorties.

we all know that the long tube selection sucks with a v8 s10. most of the long tubes go outside the frame rail. the one set that does stay inside the frame rails requires me to pound the piss out of my firewall, change motor mounts, and it places the motor back far enough that i will have to shorten my driveshaft again.

so im thinking that by stepping up to 1 5/8" primarys will help, 1 3/4" primary is to large for my setup.

in exchange for some side work i have two sets of fullsize truck long tube headers sitting in the garrage. so im thinking about trying to find a slightly used set of 1 5/8" headers and making my own set of headers.

i have thought about hacking off the collector and then welding in 6-10 inches of pipe and putting on a new collector. i dont have any measurements in front of me so im not sure exactly how much i could fit.

in the picture below the first line is where the stock collector is. the second line is where i could place the collector if i added a few inches of pipe. or if i added bit of angled pipe i could put the collector at the third line.

the fullsize guys also like try Y headers. so i could also do something like that. that could also really help the fitment of the headers.

so just looking to hear everyones thoughts and opinions on the header options.
    according to the fullsize guys i can get about 30 more horse with a decent longtube stupe over what my shorites are giving me now.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 04-12-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Since you have those sitting around I'd go ahead and cut them up. If it works out you have a nice set real cheap. If it doesn't work out you're not out a lot of money. A custom set would be big bucks so give it a try.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by smsmith36 View Post
    Since you have those sitting around I'd go ahead and cut them up. If it works out you have a nice set real cheap. If it doesn't work out you're not out a lot of money. A custom set would be big bucks so give it a try.
    thats the plan but im trying to figure out if a should go with a true long tube style header or maybe try a tri-y design.

jimbo (zz4) did this a few years ago.

I think I'll agree that shorties are an in significant horspower gain over a good set of stck manifolds. My long tubes made more power but were a pain with leaks and tire clearance , etc.

If you can do it inside the frame give it a shot.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    i too have thought of this mainly to get my collectors out of my firewall. My engine is setback alot and makes getting to thema bitch. Id go with a true long tube b/c it would put your collectors in a great spot and less guess work than y ing the head pipes together and fitting up al those tubes

Quote Originally Posted by low86blazer View Post
    jimbo (zz4) did this a few years ago.
    guess you didnt notice that the picture i posted is of jims long tube setup

Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    I think I'll agree that shorties are an in significant horspower gain over a good set of stck manifolds. My long tubes made more power but were a pain with leaks and tire clearance , etc.

If you can do it inside the frame give it a shot.
    i dont think that i can make a true long tube in the frame and still be able to R/R it. i may have to settle for some sort of a midlength header. but either way i think i will have some gains over a shorty

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    i too have thought of this mainly to get my collectors out of my firewall. My engine is setback alot and makes getting to thema bitch. Id go with a true long tube b/c it would put your collectors in a great spot and less guess work than y ing the head pipes together and fitting up al those tubes
    even if you make the header about 6" longer the collector will be a lot easier to work on. right now its a bitch changing gaskets on my shorties.

yea, but if your already doing the work, and buying tubing why not just make the bend and get them to where they are on "normal" long tubes. But its harder for me with the air suspension b/c my shock mounts are in the exact space i need to get wrenches in there, but a six inch lower collector would make life easier

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    guess you didnt notice that the picture i posted is of jims long tube setup

i dont think that i can make a true long tube in the frame and still be able to R/R it. i may have to settle for some sort of a midlength header. but either way i think i will have some gains over a shorty
    ha, havent seen the pics in a while. its miller time

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    yea, but if your already doing the work, and buying tubing why not just make the bend and get them to where they are on "normal" long tubes. But its harder for me with the air suspension b/c my shock mounts are in the exact space i need to get wrenches in there, but a six inch lower collector would make life easier
    becuase i dont know if an actual long tube will fit being one piece.

meaning i dont know if there is enough room to R/R a true long tube with the motor in. i know for a fact jim cannot pull his with the motor in. he has to unbolt the headers then pull the motor then remove the headers

I believe that the multipiece headers were the primary cause of the gasket failures on my long tube hookers. Each tube worked each gasket independently. I would stick to a one piece if at all possible on a street vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    I believe that the multipiece headers were the primary cause of the gasket failures on my long tube hookers. Each tube worked each gasket independently. I would stick to a one piece if at all possible on a street vehicle
    thats what i want to do. im not going to mess with a multipiece setup.

ok i see what your saying now. yea i dont think you could pull a set of long tubes now that i think about it. Then mid length it is

i dont think that adding any extra primary pipe will hurt anything, if anything make it easier to change collector gaskets