Thread: Upper Control Arms

Upper Control Arms

I went to get an alignment today and was told they couldn't do one. After asking the guy a bunch of questions I found out that the upper ball joint is kinked and that the rod to align it is almost all the way out. So the guy said I needed some longer upper A-arms. Other than thornbrothers does anyone know of some other ones I could use? The guy also said I could take mine out and lengthen them but I would rather not do that.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    none of that made any sense. Your upper balljoint is kinked? what does that mean, and what rod to align it. Im not horrible familair with 4wd front ends but dont they use the adjustments like fullsizes do with the offcenter washers and such(cant think of what they call them) But the thorbeck arms are for 2wds only btw. Id say take it to another shop and see what they say, or provide us some pictures. Unless you got in a wreck your upper arms should be fine. The most you would have to do is replace the balljoints and bushings which isnt to hard at all

that guy is a fucking idiot, i got a 89 4x4 dropped 6 inches in the front and i did the allignment my self at my shop and i had it at the factory spec's as the 4x4 models use cam adjusters on the upper control arms and not shims like the 2wd. i have no idea what a kinked ball joint is, mabey he means that there on a huge angle,just as mine are and its 100% fine.... go back there cal him a idiot and tell him to do his job...that is all lol

Well to be quite honest I have no idea what the guy is talking about either. I was just hoping to relay what he told me and have someone explain it to me. Because he didn't do to well at it. I am honestly lost at this point. I have researched lowering a 4x4 for almost 2 months before doing the job and never came up with as many problems as I have run into from this guy. But he is the only one that will do an alignment on a lowered truck around my area. So I don't know what to do. Supposedly the camber is off, the cv joints, tie rods and everything else is at an upward angel and from what he said I can fix this with new a arms. Even showed me the ones off suicide doors.com I've got my hands in the air and have no idea.

Oh and I just replaced the ball joints upper and lower and the cv joints.

ya well all of the steering linkage will be on a upwards angle as the vehicle has been lowered.... and making the upper control arms longer will not fix that, the only way to fix that is raise the vehicle back up.... guys a moron, go slap your dank on his forhead and tell him to align it lol, as i said i did mine with a 6"drop on my 4x4 and i got it to factory specs no problem,,,,sounds like he needs to pull his head outta his ass lol

Yeah, order a camber kit from your favorite parts store and take it to a guy that actually knows how to install it.

They're gonna look something like this

It sounds like the guy is trying to fuck you over

has those from the factory

I had custom uppers made because of the upper ball joint angle with laying out
    1991 GMC Syclone bagged laying frame on 18's and 20's
    Balistik Customs
    Our show http://www.myspace.com/campndrag

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    it sounds like you mechanic is trying to screw you. what is you ride height?
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.