Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Please take a look if your doing a V8 conversion on a S10/Blazer

The 9" ford will not bolt right in, but basically everything else is your choice as to what you want to drive. Consider daily driver, race, or a good mix of both. Big non-roller cams equal low vaccuum and loss of accessories including brakes, automatic trans shifting, and since Blazers have a vaccuum operated system for the vent and floor switches, it could create a problem there unless you go with a vaccuum reserve canister or pump.
    Basically, the answer is, Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go??
    Beatin' imports on a daily basis

Ok
    Will the stock rear end hold 350s power?

Prob keep it stock, except for maybe a better carb.

I would love to go Fuel Injected but I think carb might be easier?

It will be my daily driver, hardly ever go to the track, just scootin around town, maybe the ocassional back street race but thats it.
    Would I basically need a new a/c unit to make it work with the V8, or do they make a kit for the v8.
    I'll be moving to wisconsin so a heater is desireable.

Originally posted by g0dl355
    Ok
    Will the stock rear end hold 350s power?

Prob keep it stock, except for maybe a better carb.

I would love to go Fuel Injected but I think carb might be easier?

It will be my daily driver, hardly ever go to the track, just scootin around town, maybe the ocassional back street race but thats it.
    Would I basically need a new a/c unit to make it work with the V8, or do they make a kit for the v8.
    I'll be moving to wisconsin so a heater is desireable.
    The stock rear-end will hold up, just depends on how bad you beat on it. The AC unit will work with the V8. If your motor that is in your vehicle now is a 4.3, then you got all the parts that you will need to keep the AC. The serpentine setup that holds the alternetor, compressor and power steering pump and so on, is the same on a 4.3(V6) and a 5.7(V8).
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

:smoker:

Cool.
    Its the 2.5 engine in there now.
    I was thinking of doing a 99+ dash and if I did that I might as well upgrade the HVAC controls.

Should bolt right in I think.

And I will try to be easy on the rear, but I will most likely upgrade it since I'm known to beat on things :eek:

Originally posted by Yenko
    The stock rear-end will hold up, just depends on how bad you beat on it. The AC unit will work with the V8. If your motor that is in your vehicle now is a 4.3, then you got all the parts that you will need to keep the AC. The serpentine setup that holds the alternetor, compressor and power steering pump and so on, is the same on a 4.3(V6) and a 5.7(V8).

Vamos Mantequilla!!! ProfessorKaos's Avatar
    Okay, got my 91 back in may, just bought a conversion manual. I currently have a 4.3 and from what I understand I can keep the AC and rear end, but what about the transfer case? I am also a little confused on the mounts I would need, all I know is that I need to do something with the mounts from a 2.8. Is there anything elses that I would need to do?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what is a rough estimate of the cost of doing the conversion, not to have everything absolutly perfect right away, but just to get it running and driving.
    Last edited by ProfessorKaos; 01-01-2004 at 02:13 AM.

Originally posted by ProfessorKaos
    Okay, got my 91 back in may, just bought a conversion manual. I currently have a 4.3 and from what I understand I can keep the AC and rear end, but what about the transfer case? I am also a little confused on the mounts I would need, all I know is that I need to do something with the mounts from a 2.8. Is there anything elses that I would need to do?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what is a rough estimate of the cost of doing the conversion, not to have everything absolutly perfect right away, but just to get it running and driving.
    Do you have aim chat that is at the top of this page on the right side? If so, I'll talk to you in there.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

certified JESUS FREAK
    im replying on the s-10 swap headers that are ceramic coated from summit for 345.00 dollars. you can get them from jegs ( the shorty style) for $259.99 part number (500-69528) which is about $90.00 cheaper:bigthumb:
    84' S-10 Blazer 2wd
    350 bored 0.30, 4 bolt main
    375 double hump heads 2.08/1.64 valves, flat top forged aluminum pistons, eagle race rods, radical Crower cam, victor jr. intake, 750 double pumper carb , 350 turbo trans fully built, 4.10 with mini spool

i wqant to run an 88 tuneport 350 from a 88 iroc. i have the whole top end, wireharness,and ecm. im going to look for a nice 360 block.

my plans are to run the drive train stock. get the painless harness kit. might just go with manifolds since i have them.
    will the painless harness work with my tranny? i have that 460le or whatever its called. i saw that the harness will hokk up to my lock up in the tranny. is that all i need for making the tranny work with the motor?
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Originally posted by syclonekid43
    i want to run an 88 tuneport 350 from a 88 iroc. i have the whole top end, wiring harness and ecm. im going to look for a nice 360 block.

my plans are to run the drive train stock. get the painless harness kit. might just go with manifolds since i have them.
    will the painless harness work with my tranny? i have that 460le or whatever its called. i saw that the harness will hook up to my lock up in the tranny. is that all i need for making the tranny work with the motor?
    Using a 4L60E transmission, you will need the computer that controls it. I think it's called a stand alone computer. I would just get a 700R4 cause there not controled by a computer. The stand alone computer is like $800 plus bucks. I'm not sure about the painless wiring harness working with a 4L60E tranny. You might call painless and talk to them on that.
    ISRA# 18696

CMA

thanks for the help guys
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Ok guys...I need to know if they make manual steering boxes for our S-Series.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

like this?: steering box
    '92 Typhoon #0004
    '91 Syclone #0610
    '91 Syclone #2368

They made plenty of them in the 2.5 pickups. Getting harder to find though. New they are not cheap!! Are you race only or street/strip??? Mine is race only so I just took the power box and looped the hard pressure line back into the return line. No leaks but not something you want to drive everyday.
    Beatin' imports on a daily basis

Yea, I was thinking about doing that. I will be driving it a fair amount though, so I would rather have a easier ratio in the gear box.
    '87 Jimmy, Caddy Deville tail lights, frenched lic plate, smoothie steel rollpan, phantom grill, 425 HP V8 conversion in the process and all the goodies to go with it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/ogg2001

certified JESUS FREAK
    i got one out of an s-10 that already had a manual steering box in it and it bolted right up in my blazer from an s-10 truck with no problem
    84' S-10 Blazer 2wd
    350 bored 0.30, 4 bolt main
    375 double hump heads 2.08/1.64 valves, flat top forged aluminum pistons, eagle race rods, radical Crower cam, victor jr. intake, 750 double pumper carb , 350 turbo trans fully built, 4.10 with mini spool