Thread: Planning on building an Airbox/CAI

Planning on building an Airbox/CAI

I'm posting this to bounce my idea off of you guys. I have a 98 Blazer with a 5.7L Vortec if you didn't know. Took it to the track the a few weeks ago and was getting 167* intake air temps :eek: Obviously I need a big change. Here is my intake as it sits now

I'm getting rid of the ABS this weekend and decided the space would be a nice area for a fabricated airbox with a pretty straight path to the intake.

The wire mesh area will be cut and have direct flow from the inner fender. I was thinking of a clip on or magnetic louver panel to keep out water but removeable for the track days. The cover is going to be made of lexan so I can make visual checks of the filter's life.
    Otter fan club CEO

Originally posted by SpikesBlazin
    dont worry i like them black too. :omg:
    "A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in GOD."
    Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    Theres alot of holes in the inner fender skin, it essentually going to be pulling air in from the same space it is now. If you were to seal up the inner fender bracing it would allow it to pull air from the front of the fender sorta behind the bumper

not if he makes it go down out through the wheel inner fender. then its just sucking up everything the wheel kicks up. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

I'm going through the wheel well. I doubt that is going to have any more debris than the dust during traffic.
    Otter fan club CEO

"A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in GOD."

get a cpi air box from a 95 s10 blazer with a 4.3 cpi engine then build a coil air intake like what i am doing.

i should have pics up in the next couple days then my coupler comes in.

Banned
    you got a pic of your engine bay zoomed out or some in the upper corners? so we can throw out some other options.

There will be ALOT of shit being thrown up in the wheel well, but if you were to make the opening louvered, so the openings are facing the opposite way the debris will be thrown up that would help alot, like louvered like a 2nd gen camaro fender has. somthing to that effect.

And as ugly as it is, use some thermal insulation on all the tubing, altho the air going through the pipe is going through fast enough heat soak shouldnt have THAT much effect if really any, on it, but you may notice a difference in stop and go traffic when your just sitting idling and stuff...

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

ok, thx bee, you had a useful post. Wow
    Otter fan club CEO

Banned
    MFer i dont have a post that ISNT helpfull!

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Banned
    Hell ya, you gonna seal it off, or you gonna have a tube going into the core support?

I wish somone would do my idea with the 3 piece grille and cut a hole in the valence on the driers side for an air duct, ram air. ice cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    Hell ya, you gonna seal it off, or you gonna have a tube going into the core support?

I wish somone would do my idea with the 3 piece grille and cut a hole in the valence on the driers side for an air duct, ram air. ice cold.
    there is a piece of tube that goes between the mounting bracket and the box on a first gen and that piece is in place.

i am going to cut a hole in the core support and do a little ram air vent straight into the box like joel did.

going to a sealed box dropped my IAT value by 40*f while the engine is at opperating temp and i let the ECU kick the fans on.

my goal is to be within 5* of ambient air temps when driving down the highway.