Thread: modding the 4.3

modding the 4.3

hey guys, i havent been on here in a while, but recently started lurking again since i got another 96 4dr blazer. (traded for my bagged isuzu)

well the blaze has a new crate 4.3 in it :boink: so it feels real good and responsive, but i want to make it quicker and more fun to drive. so far the only thing i have done is takin the "butterfly thing" out of the thottle body and removed the air restrictor peice so at wide open throttle its a straight shot of air, and now run full synthetic oil.

i just ordered a cold air intake off of ebay, waitin on that to arrive now.

im thinkin about buying some headers, a new muffler and some under drive pulleys for it too. just wanting to know peoples opinions and/or reveiws of the products i was lookin to get for it.

The headers
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-70-1356/

underdrive pulleys
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ASP-541084/

the muffler i was thinkin about a flowmaster super 44. but i really have no idea on what would sound good with the 4.3. im not lookin to do dual exhaust though. any ideas or opinions?

also, i thought i saw something a couple years ago on here about a way to bypass the govenor on the engine? is there a way to do this? is it a good idea?
    -You have 2 ears and one mouth, so u need to listen twice as much as u talk-

www.myspace.com/breakinnecksprez

http://www.streetsourcemag.com/im/vi...x?id=Blazed22s

http://members.cardomain.com/9chevblaze6

4 DOOR LOVE

nicks a bitch. finish you other Blazer first !!!

Word around the s10 forums says Pacesetters are junk. I myself have no experience with them. IMO the money would be better spent on a custom "Y" pipe. It's something like 1 5/8" or 1 7/8" to 2.50" If you go to a 2.25 to 2.50" You would probably get better results that with headers. Get a good muffler and a bigger tail and your engine will flow alot better. I myself don't care much at all for Flowmasters. They or far from being the best flowing mufflers out there. On my 98 Jimmy I have a Hooker Maximum Flow. Cruising at 1000-1500 rpms at around 35-40 mph it is quiet. About as quiet as stock. But accelerating you'll hear it for sure and at WOT the b!tch screams. It is one of the best flowing (non-race) mufflers out there. I'll post a vid I made 15 mins after I had it installed. It's a bit raspy when revving it but I still have a stock Y pipe and tail pipe. All I had done is remove the cat and install a 2.50 in/out offset/center Max flow.

IDK anything about those pulleys you posted. I do have March pulleys on my Blazer. They help I'm sure but I can barley tell. Maybe 3-5 hp freed up? The March set has the small alt pulley so your amps don't go down at idle. IDK about the Jet set or the ones you posted. Maybe someone else has a set of those around here and can provide info.

If you are referring to the speed limiter it can be shut off with a tune. Wait4meperformance.com does $75 tunes if you send them your pcm. Or you can order one, pay the core charge (comes out to like 160+shipping) send them yours back and get the core charge refunded. Or just keep it and have an extra PCM. The tune will probably give something like 10-15hp.

Here's the vid of my exhaust I mentioned.

Last edited by 12sws27; 07-31-2009 at 06:13 PM.

as for the performance, you can change the timing on it and it can make it a bit more responsive. we did that to my dads ls1 trans am and his d 100. it makes a HUGE difference. and its cheap, just as long as you have a timing light...

for the exhaust, you can just do your two headers going into a Y-pipe. jegs makes a y pipe and its like 50 bucks. i thought about doing that to my truck, but decided to go with duals.
    spending money i dont have, on parts i dont need, to impress people i dont even like

LOCKERZ!!! send ME a pm. not josh02extreme. lol

I'm sorry officer was i speeding?? Wanna doughnut???

1985 2.8L (with headers btw:boink: :boink: ) S10 Blazer w/ 2/3" drop sittin on a set of Rally's... waintin to have a v8 sometime soon.

thanks for the info guys.

about the headers, you said that the guys on s10forum say they are junk, but why? do they fit shitty? leak? whats up with them.
    -You have 2 ears and one mouth, so u need to listen twice as much as u talk-

www.myspace.com/breakinnecksprez

http://www.streetsourcemag.com/im/vi...x?id=Blazed22s

http://members.cardomain.com/9chevblaze6

4 DOOR LOVE

Banned
    -Take your clutch fan off and put on an electric fan.
    -Run a 180 thermostat
    -1:6 rocker arms
    -Headers, y pipe, and a free flowing muffler. Flowmasters sound good on a 4.3 but like said they arent the highest flowing mufflers out there. (not that thats going to be a big deal with 210 horses)
    -And a dyno or street homeade tune.

Dont think id waste the money on the pullies.

A little higher up on the mod list would be a cam. That would be your biggest gainer right there. They are pitifull on the vortec motors. Then even higher on the mod list you could just add boost and forget the rest.

Oh and one note, make sure your "cold air intake" actually draws true outside air, not engine bay air. I prefer to make my own home made intakes that can actually reach the front side of the core support or below the truck to draw true cold air, wrap it in heat wrap, (not gonna look as nice as the overpriced cold air kit) but it will work. 210 degree air charger vs an 80 degree air charge in your cylinders is one hell of a difference. On my little sunbird, which is packin 100hp to the wheels if im lucky, was like adding another engine when compairing air being sucked in right behind the rad. vs intake exiting under front valence.
    Last edited by Superbee; 08-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

or you could just put nitrous on :bigthumb:
    spending money i dont have, on parts i dont need, to impress people i dont even like

LOCKERZ!!! send ME a pm. not josh02extreme. lol

I'm sorry officer was i speeding?? Wanna doughnut???

1985 2.8L (with headers btw:boink: :boink: ) S10 Blazer w/ 2/3" drop sittin on a set of Rally's... waintin to have a v8 sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CunT StuD View Post
    thanks for the info guys.

about the headers, you said that the guys on s10forum say they are junk, but why? do they fit shitty? leak? whats up with them.
    I said on the s10 forums not s10forum (s10f, s-series, s10planet, st/ty...etc). I have never heard anything good about pacesetter. I'm sure fitment is one of the problems I would guess. I'm just saying what the popular opinion of them are. If you want headers look into the edelbrock's TES headers and "Y" pipe kit. But IMHO shorty headers are not worth the money. Especially painted or stainless. They get so hot, what ever small gain you get from better flow, some of that will be taken away from all the hot air you'll be sucking down the TB. What headers, get ceramic coated. That way they'll last and keep underhood temps down. But then those are way to damn much money for what? 10-15hp? If that.
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.

Quote Originally Posted by drpd85blzr View Post
    as for the performance, you can change the timing on it and it can make it a bit more responsive. we did that to my dads ls1 trans am and his d 100. it makes a HUGE difference. and its cheap, just as long as you have a timing light...

for the exhaust, you can just do your two headers going into a Y-pipe. jegs makes a y pipe and its like 50 bucks. i thought about doing that to my truck, but decided to go with duals.

i would like to know how you adjusted the timing on the TA with a timing light