Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Distributor Replacement Removal Procedure

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    a CASE relearn has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

the ONLY time you need to do a CASE relearn is when you change the pcm or the pickup wheel behind the timing cover.
    That contradicts every other source I've found. It is recommended to do the CASE relearn if either the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, or PCM is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by s10blazed View Post
    That contradicts every other source I've found. It is recommended to do the CASE relearn if either the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, or PCM is changed.
    sigh....

when you perform a CASE (Crank Angle Sensor Error) learn the PCM records the *exact* relationship between the crank teeth and the crank angle sensor - for the current crank/sensor configuration.
    it uses that information to detect the small acceleration of the crankshaft at the instant of each firing event. if a firing event does not occur the PCM will not detect the small crank acceleration and will log a misfire.
    Note: large cams, rough roads and rough idle can cause false misfire detection.

when the PCM "learns" the crank position sensor error, it writes the learned information to non-volatile memory.
    in a new PCM, that memory is blank and it will throw a code immediately indicating that a crank relearn is required.

if you swap your PCM for a PCM that is not new, i.e. one that has already had a relearn done - probably for a different engine, then the PCM does not "know" that the learned information is incorrect for the current engine. Hence it will not log a code to indicate that a relearn is needed.

if you change any part of your engine that effects the relative positioning of the crank to the crank sensor then the learned information will probably no longer be correct. And still the PCM will not know that a relearn is needed.

if the learned information is not correct, the PCM may not be able to detect valid misfires and/or may detect false misfires. P0300 codes

it seems obvious that you either don't want my advice, or don't think its correct either way im not going to waste my time helping you anymore. hope you get it fixed.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 12-16-2010 at 09:44 PM.

i forgot to add the crank sensor to that list as well.

I value your advice and appreciate the help you've given.

My point was that this procedure most certainly applies to me (replaced distributor). Also, as you put it originally, "the ONLY time you need to do a CASE relearn..." is not accurate. There are many circumstances where a CASE relearn is recommended. Of course a handful of those situations it is not required.

I will update when I actually get a chance to work on it.

I value your advice and appreciate the help you've given.

My point was that this procedure most certainly applies to me (replaced distributor). Also, as you put it originally, "the ONLY time you need to do a CASE relearn..." is not accurate. There are many circumstances where a CASE relearn is recommended. Of course a handful of those situations it is not required.

I will update when I actually get a chance to work on it.
    the case relearn is NOT required when you replace the distributor. it in no way shape or form affects the angle between the crank pickup wheel and the crank sensor.

on an s-series all the cam sensor does is tell the pcm what part of the stoke the engine is on, that's it. Hell the truck will even run without the cam sensor hooked up.

Small update:

Started off with aftermarket distributor with a cam retard value of -25 and ignition timing of +20. Ran fine and smooth with noticeably bad fuel economy. P1345 was consistent.

Turned it 1 tooth counter clockwise and was given a cam retard of 0.0! But it wouldn't start. It wasn't even trying to fire. Ignition timing was not returning a value when I tested it.

I put my stock distributor back in on that same tooth for a measurement. It was reading -11 degrees cam retard and a very similar positive ignition timing. It runs like shit and idles rough. Occassional backfire after engine load. No P1345 code but did get P0300 and P0301 randomly once.

I am more confused than ever at this point. I don't have a place to really tear into it. I was hoping to use it for my winter ride but I may just put some money into good snow tires for my car.

It is good to know I can still rotate a distributor when the weather is in the teens in 2 minutes flat though.

I hate to give up after investing so much into my tools, but I am very frustrated with this thing and am on the verge of handing it over to someone else to dick with it.

Mines about where yours is....I get P1345 on first start of the day, clear it out with my Aeroforce guage and it doesn't come back until the next day on first start up.

Idles fine, runs great, little rich due to the tuning

Thinking it's either a tooth off or need to do a crank relearn......if I can get it on a scaner to look at them timing I would have a better idea
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Small update:

Started off with aftermarket distributor with a cam retard value of -25 and ignition timing of +20. Ran fine and smooth with noticeably bad fuel economy. P1345 was consistent.

Turned it 1 tooth counter clockwise and was given a cam retard of 0.0! But it wouldn't start. It wasn't even trying to fire. Ignition timing was not returning a value when I tested it.

I put my stock distributor back in on that same tooth for a measurement. It was reading -11 degrees cam retard and a very similar positive ignition timing. It runs like shit and idles rough. Occassional backfire after engine load. No P1345 code but did get P0300 and P0301 randomly once.

I am more confused than ever at this point. I don't have a place to really tear into it. I was hoping to use it for my winter ride but I may just put some money into good snow tires for my car.

It is good to know I can still rotate a distributor when the weather is in the teens in 2 minutes flat though.

I hate to give up after investing so much into my tools, but I am very frustrated with this thing and am on the verge of handing it over to someone else to dick with it.
    compare both distributors real close die by side. the drive gear can be installed backwards since they have an odd number of teeth.

Is there anything more I should be concerned with if I just switch out the gear at the base of the distributor? Is there a 'key' to make sure it is positioned right?
    drive the roll pin out then make sure the gear is indexed properly. the gear can be installed backwards since it has 13 teeth on it

Quote Originally Posted by nikole95 View Post
    drive the roll pin out then make sure the gear is indexed properly. the gear can be installed backwards since it has 13 teeth on it
    way to copy/paste what i typed in post #6

Banned
    Mark own3d by the spam bots hahah.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    Mark own3d by the spam bots hahah.
    Mark owned someone???

Mark that one in the books....hahahahaha
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Banned
    Apparently reading pwn3s you. I said nothing about mark owning anybody. ;)

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Lol wut?
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

4487 Conference Center Way,Scranton, PA 18503
    Thanks for this article. Its really a good topic. I like this side. Give me some information about this side.