Thread: ABS Removal

ABS Removal

Ok well I did decided to get rid of the ABS while doing the big brake upgrade. Here is a photo journal of my trials.

Well we all start right here (some much cleaner than others). Huge 20lb box for telling me how I should be braking.

FYI GM was nice enough to use a different diameter brake line or fitting size for each of the 5 ports. Why? Idk but it will be in your best interest to cut the flared ends off the lines and save all of the fittings you can.

I used an aluminum DISC/DISC proportioning valve (also comes in brass) from http://www.waylayedinc.com/Store/ind...products_id=13.

Fitting sizes:
    two front lines are: 3/16"
    front from Master Cylinder: 5/16"
    rear from Master Cylinder: 1/4"
    to rear lines: 5/16"

edit: there is also as special Master Cylinder size fitting - they have it at napa, you will need it for the front line that comes out of the MC.
    Otter fan club CEO

Originally posted by SpikesBlazin
    dont worry i like them black too. :omg:
    "A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in GOD."
    Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Removal is a game of hunt the bolt and plug. I swear this thing has about 6 or 7 plugs and the brackets connect all over the place. Once it is gone, you are left with a pretty nice size void.

please don't make fun of me, I plan on going to braided lines so I can bolt this thing to the inner fender so the lines were just bent to stay away from the headers. I know have a daily driver so I can take my time and clean this up.

You will see on the front line in and the rear line out there is a 5/16" - 1/4" fitting, it was the only way I could find to do it. I put liquid Teflon on all of the connections.

Bleed all lines and make sure to keep the reservoir full while doing it. Put on some big stoppers, make sure you follow the break-in instructions, and have some fun.

Otter fan club CEO

"A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in GOD."

Also if you guys care, the rubber brake lines are just as strong as the stainless steel lines. They have something like a 3k PSI burst pressure! Even SSBC says it in their install paperwork. It is for looks and the fact you wont cut it with a regular knife. Just a note for those of us with a budget.
    Otter fan club CEO

i hope you didnt put teflon on the flare fittings? I know people say its okay but hyrdocarbon fluid eats that shit for breakfast. Did those adapters have flared seal?

Look harder and you can actually find the correct tube and thread count for each of the lines. i found them after i finished with adapters.

fyi
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Not on the flare fittings. The adapters had flare seats. Have pics of your setup?
    Otter fan club CEO

yea in my project 4 chrome thread, ill either take some or find some.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    dam those are some nice brakes!!! haha
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

haha it was a hell of a deal!
    Otter fan club CEO