Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.8 86 model s10 blazer

2.8 86 model s10 blazer

Finally got me another blazer besides the one thats being worked on for the 350 conversion. Its an 86 model, with a 2.8.

Figured id ask around to see if theres any common problems with the 2.8 (besides the lack of power). Ive always had a 4.3 and theyve been really good to me, so im hoping a 2.8 can be as good to me as them.
    Im getin it tommorow and gonna give it a good tune up. The motor is not the orginal one, the guy said it had around 40,000 miles on it.

Thanks for looking guys
    2006 GMC Canyon 2.8 Daily Driver
    1985 s10 blazer project, shaved stuff and 350 combo, eagle alloys 77 series 17's, 8.8 ford rearend

They like to leak where the head and intake meet under the valve cover.
    stock-87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 3.4, auto, 4x4

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

2.8 liters of pure power! jasond's Avatar
    The earlier versions of the 2.8 had problems spinning bearings. I think your's is in the safe year range, but don't hold me to that.

like i said he said the motor was changed any way i can find out what year the motor is, where are the casting numbers located on these little things?
    2006 GMC Canyon 2.8 Daily Driver
    1985 s10 blazer project, shaved stuff and 350 combo, eagle alloys 77 series 17's, 8.8 ford rearend

2.8 = boat anchor

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_1994 View Post
    like i said he said the motor was changed any way i can find out what year the motor is, where are the casting numbers located on these little things?
    top right of engine block just below head or left front of the engine block just above water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Barebackjimmy View Post
    2.8 = boat anchor

Only if you don't know how to work on them, personally I've had a few 4.3s and don't care for them one bit. All the power of a v6 but the gas mileage of a v8, I'd rather just have the v8.

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

Quote Originally Posted by jasond View Post
    The earlier versions of the 2.8 had problems spinning bearings. I think your's is in the safe year range, but don't hold me to that.

82-85 was the years they had a smaller mains and were bad about spinning bearings and snapping cranks, you still had to be pretty rough on them for it for it to do this.

The only problems with an 86 is the one year only front accessory drive setup (combo of vee belts and serpt) and the 86-87 computer was a 2 year only deal. You should have the better flowing heads (still a laugh cause this is where most of our power is lost) and fuel injection.

If your looking for power you can swap to a 3.4 either GM crate (wont be warrantied in a FI app) or out of a 93-95 f-body. You will keep about the same gas mileage as the 2.8 but the HP and torque numbers are within 10 of a 4.3 depending on the cam you select.

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Only if you don't know how to work on them, personally I've had a few 4.3s and don't care for them one bit. All the power of a v6 but the gas mileage of a v8, I'd rather just have the v8.
    the 2.8 power of a 4 banger and gas milage of v8
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by low86blazer View Post
    the 2.8 power of a 4 banger and gas milage of v8
    cammed vortec 350. power of a v8 mileage of a v6 :D

is a 2.8 worth working on? most say no if i had another 82 thru 86 s i would junk the engine asap there crap! and at the shop where we build precision race and street engines 2.8 come in once and awile and there never rebuilable always cracked in the main web and sometimes in the cam line but somepeople swear by them in there sammi 4x4 but letss face it rev one up 2 5 grand for minutes and they will spin rod berrings

got 260k and still running strong out of mine. Changed the water pump once in the 5 years that I have had it. Tranny ( 5 speed) took a crap on me though when I was towing a trailer with my bike on it, all together I have 1500 lbs of crap in the trailer and the blazer. Died in Mississippi and I drove all the way to PA with just 4th gear. Clutch finally smoke about 2 minutes away from my parents house.

Oh and mine is a 2 wd 86 blazer.
    Last edited by hdridinas2; 10-25-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added year.

Who the hell with half a brain drives any stock engine around at 5k for extended periods of time beside the dumb nuts in a ricer that wanna claim they are drifting?

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Who the hell with half a brain drives any stock engine around at 5k for extended periods of time beside the dumb nuts in a ricer that wanna claim they are drifting?
    some one who wants to break shit......

My truck has the 2.8L.

I have 312,000 miles on the clock. Bought the truck with a bad motor and put a motor with 60k in it at 136,000. They dont blow up.

Biggest problems I've had were leaky valve covers. They are slow, get terrible gas mileage, but THEY DONT BLOW UP!