Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.8 86 model s10 blazer

well finally got out today to work on it. Drove it up the road from my house and at 55 i punched it down and it went no were was like there was no passing gear at all? but other than that the thing drive great.

one problem i do have someone may be able to help. The guy put a 93 model dash in it and the dash lights do not work. Checked the fuse, its fine. Took the dash apart wires are alright, looked at the bulbs they dont look blowed but may possibly be. Any ideals of what it could be, maybe a bad cluster? or just thought of something else maybe the cat may be stomped up?

Got to rewire the sound system, stupid retard cut the wires when he hook up his cd player in it. Burns me up when people wont go spend 10 bucks on an adapter, an do a hack job hooking something up.
    Last edited by blazer_1994; 10-25-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    2006 GMC Canyon 2.8 Daily Driver
    1985 s10 blazer project, shaved stuff and 350 combo, eagle alloys 77 series 17's, 8.8 ford rearend

2.8 liters of pure power! jasond's Avatar
    When you say the dash lights don't light up, do you mean the instrument cluster? Is it digital? If so the conversion may not have been done correctly, also the digital clusters are prone to failure.

I get ok gas mileage with mine. I put like 20 bucks in and drive for about 200 miles around town. I know i drove from pa to va beach which is about 350 miles, started with a full tank and ended up with a quarter when I got to the beach.

It is slow as hell though.

Oh, and I had a light on my dash that wouldnt light. bulb didnt look blown but I changed it anyway, and I made sure it was twisted in all the way, works now. Maybe replace the bulbs and make sure they are all nice and tight?
    Last edited by hdridinas2; 10-25-2009 at 10:00 PM.

I got about 18 out of my 2.8 with 31s, 3 inch BL, and the normal tbar crank/shackle lift. I thought it was pretty good being a 21 year old truck with over 140k on the clock. The 3.4 in it now gets right at 22 and will keep up with my buddy in his 94 4x4 with a 4.3 and his 19 mpg.

My dad gets about 23 out of his 93 reg cab 5 speed. His aint gonna take a vette any day but its got the same amount of balls my 92 4.3 had.
    stock-87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 3.4, auto, 4x4

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

<------265,000 miles

No it's not quick, but it does get 22mpg and passes emissions.
    I've had to replace the water pump and fuel pump, but that's it in the four years I've owned it. I did do a tune up, replaced the filters, etc. when I bought it.
    I wouldn't call it a boat anchor, but I'm not going to rebuild it either.

well the signals and bright light symbol everything light up just not the gauges, fuel, and speedo and the heat and ac illumination. Ill try changing the bulbs and see whats up.
    1985 s10 blazer project, shaved stuff and 350 combo, eagle alloys 77 series 17's, 8.8 ford rearend

I done a tune up on the blaze this past weekend. Changed pretty much everything u could. Gas mileage went from 16.5 to around 20.5. So Im pretty happy, I drive 3 hours a day going back and fourth to work.
    But Ive developed a problem, seems that the bearing is going bad in the smog pump. Well here in ky we do not have emmisions, so I think i wanna take it off, well really just leave it on and unbolt the pulley.
    My question is anyone ever done this? Im going to measure for a serpentine belt if i can find one, but anyone thats done this can help me out with a lenght or part number. My motor has the serpintine belt that goes around the water pump, crank pulley smog pump and the alt. The power steering and ac are run by v belts.
    Any help is appreciated. Oh and will it cause any issues with the motor running?

a new smog pump is only $40 from Autozone. A serp is $25. Might just be worth it to replace the smog pump. I did mine, wasnt hard at all.

ah didnt know that i checked at advanced tonight and they wanted right at 100 for one, I'll try out autozone see what they have to say

Problems problems. My motor developed an oil leak looks to be coming from the oil pan gasket. So I havent really looked but is there anyway of changing it without pulling the motor. Cause if i have to pull the motor I may just look into the 3.4 swap.

Anybody have any info, ive researched the net some, but cant find alot. Ive heard some problems about the flywheel? And I gotta change the water pump and the oil pan?

I changed my water pump...easy job, just remove everything in the way and put the new one on, no special tools required.
    How bad is the oil leak? Mine drools a little but not bad enough to worry about, not more than a quart between oil changes.
    Hadn't heard of flywheel problems and mine is fine despite a few over revs and clutch dumps.

Have to pull the motor to change the oil pan on 2wd. Just got done doing that and replacing all the gaskets on mine. I didn't want to take the time to hunt down a 3.4 and the 2.8 ran fine besides leaking. I had the trans out to replace the clutch too. So I went ahead and spent the couple hundred and several nights to do it right.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Some of the early 2.8s use torx bolts on the water pump and timing gear cover. That can be a PITA . When I done mine (87) I had a spare 93 motor sitting around that I swiped the hex head bolts off of to replace them.

To change the oil pan gasket you have to pull the motor on dang near any v6 s-series I've worked on. If the leak is on the drivers side make sure its not one of oil senders on the oil filter adapter. When they go bad they drip oil sometimes.

The flywheel problem is with high RPM clutch dumps. Don't drive it like a 16 y/o that stole it and you should be fine. Hell you said you're building a v8 truck for a toy anyways.

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

yeah my v8 is my toy this is just a daily for work. My oil pressure gauge is bad ( well it stays maxed out all the time, i was told thats a bad sign of oil pressure units) so maybe thats where the oil leak is coming from, ill have to get it on the rack and find out where it is coming from. I may just keep the motor it runs dang good, besides the lack of power. Probably cheaper to fix the oil leak anyway.

on a side note i thought a long time ago i seen a diagram for the pin connector that the dash cluster plugs into, which pin is the one for the lights on the dash im gonna try to chase down why my dash lights are not working on it (the ones that illuminate the gauges, oh and i have the 80 mph gauge).

I only have wiring diagrams for a 87 and there were some changes so I can give you that but not promise it will be the same. As far as I know it should be but still I hate to tell you yes and then fry something.