Thread: Lift gate to split gate

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar

Lift gate to split gate

Has anyone ever changed from a lift gate (98+), to a split gate (pre 97)? I am wondering how different the top hinges are.
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

I didn't even know they had lift gates. Both of my buddies with 98+ have split gates. One is a 4dr, and one is a 2dr.

i believe the rear of the body is different man, because if the frame around the rear glass for the lift gate, you will just have to check out one at the junk yard and look at how they are mounted and the rear side glass may be different.

ive only ever seen lift gates on 4drs and the frame around the top and sides are part of the body on split gates and the bottom gate latches from the sides and i belive the lift gate locks at the bottom in the middle

I don't mean to thread jack , but because we're already talking about gates, sooo...

Anyone know how to fix the lock on a (what I believe to be) split gate? The glass opens, but not the door. The lock just spins around.

Quote Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
    I don't mean to thread jack , but because we're already talking about gates, sooo...

Anyone know how to fix the lock on a (what I believe to be) split gate? The glass opens, but not the door. The lock just spins around.
    you have to take the rear panel off from the inside, remove the lock and replace it with a new one.......sounds like the arm broke off and it's not pulling the two arms to the latches on the sides.....mine did the same thing
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

I figured it had to be the lock that went. Alright, guess I'll see if I can find a working one at a junk yard and swap them out.
    Thanks!

the original lsteggy tunerman20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98low4x4blazer View Post
    Has anyone ever changed from a lift gate (98+), to a split gate (pre 97)? I am wondering how different the top hinges are.
    lmc shows that they had both the liftgate and end gate on the blazers from 95-01, so my guess would be to look for a 98 with an end gate and just swap yours with it 98low, it's just a suggestion tho
    :blazer:97 blazer, 82 305, edelbrock top end, stock bottom end, currently under construction:blazer:

The Louder, The Better Nvr2Loud's Avatar
    why not just cut your lift gate in half, hinge the bottom, close the cut up, do some body filler, prime and paint the bitch? put pin on the bottom half so you can remove it fully... just a thought...
    2000 Blazer Xtreme Conversion:bowdown:
    2 Memphis Mojo 12's on 2000w RMS:bowdown:
    SHAVED EVERYTHING:bowdown:

If its "too loud" or "too low", I don't know you.

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar
    or just add in suicide hinges on one side to make the whole thing swing to the side and you end with a custom part that verry few people have
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)