Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: lowered 4x4

Check out Supernova's build he did a great cantilever rear setup with air cylinders...close to same thing as hydro cylinders. Can you pm me a link to this syclone? Are you talking about the one in mini truckin?

Registered User twistedwrenches's Avatar
    it could be the one in mini truckin but ill send you the link, and ill definately chec it out :)

ive read but cant find the post where if the yolk is pushed to far in that it will blow the seal,what seal is this and where is it (what does it look like)?

Daily Dime
    ok, newbie questions... just dropped my blazer with a set of keys up front. thing sits nice and low, stock tires are just a tad too tall, but its ok.

my main issue is the insane vibration i get right around 55-60 mph out of the front end. the vibration comes with a slight growling sound, almost as if the half shafts are binding.

any input? i read all the posts here saying that they've been dropped 4" for years with no issues, yet i'm down about 3", and got this issue.
    1994 4x4 4DR BLAZER - 3" Blocks - Keys Up Front - Belltech Nitro Drop Shocks - 16" 4th Gen Camaro Salad Shooters - 225/60 - 255/55 - Pickup Flares - Relocated Spare Tire - Custom 1-Off Camaro Hood - Custom 1-Off 12" Camaro Front Brakes - Daily Driver

Daily Dime

1994 4x4 4DR BLAZER - 3" Blocks - Keys Up Front - Belltech Nitro Drop Shocks - 16" 4th Gen Camaro Salad Shooters - 225/60 - 255/55 - Pickup Flares - Relocated Spare Tire - Custom 1-Off Camaro Hood - Custom 1-Off 12" Camaro Front Brakes - Daily Driver

Daily Dime
    she needs a bath, and i need to drop the rear. i have the blocks, but the u-bolts in my kit were for a larger diameter axle tube, i will get new ones soon

Banned
    hmm could be alot of things, i guess if those shafts are WORN they could do that, if they have enough wear to get off balance at speeds, then you should be able to take both hands and wiggle the two pieces and feel some decent slop.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Daily Dime
    the truck HAD a vibration around 50mph, so i balanced the tires, and the vibration moved up to about 68mph, no biggie, i dont go that fast, and its an older truck so i didnt expect perfection.

now the vibration is worse than ever, and down near 50-60mph, plus now has the noise. i will look more into it tomorrow, but i did also notice now i need to do the ball joints. they are squeaking, moaning when i turn, and banging over bumps.

i removed the bumpstops, but also notice a "bottoming out" feeling out of one side. when i took it off the lift, i jump up and down on the front bumper and it doesnt hit anything (except the lift arms.. lol) any ideas what that may be? would the sway bar hit the lower control arm (infront of the "strap", or frame?

Daily Dime
    another dumb question, what is the actual height of a STOCK truck? when i got it, the rear springs sagged, so i spun the torsion bar bolts down to level out the truck, so i have no REAL before measurement

Banned
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58100

6th post down: The control arm will hit the bumpstop bracket.

when your under the truck, with the wieght off the tires, check the torsion bar mounts, see if they have separated, also jack each lower control arm up to take all the weight off the ball joint and wiggle the tire to check for slack. you def dont want one of those puppies breaking. same with tie rod ends.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Daily Dime
    i did the torsion bar crossmember mounts when i bought the truck, they were both shot. never heard a bang so bad in my life. lol

that bracket is part of the upper control arm mount, isnt it? i thought thats what i saw while i was in there taking the bump stops out.

i knew the ball joints were on there way out, but they never gave any signals of being worn untill the drop. i intend on picking up a set in the morning.

Banned
    a sharp blade air hammer bit and a round pointed air hammer bit are your friends for the lower ball joints. I can knock a set out in under 5 mins vs sitting there for 30 min with a fucking grinder and drill!

Knock the heads of the rivits off with the sharp flat blade bit, and then hammer them down and out with the round pointed bit.

Daily Dime
    the ball joint job took an hour and a half in my driveway. the ones i pulled out were already replacements, so they were just bolted in. i went down and aligned the toe as well.

i still get a sound out of the left front that sounds like a bad ball joint (no play though, and they are brand new) and i get a nasty vibration at around 60mph still.

The RF tire rubs the inner fender right at 12 o'clock on decent sized bumps, and the the LF control arm hits the bumpstop bracket. (still havent trimmed it, as i am not 100% on keeping the drop)

i also noticed the RF lower control arm has marks in it from the tie-rod hitting it, i never felt it hit, but i saw it today. ever hear of this?

measured against a stock truck, this is a 5 1/2" drop up front.

Daily Dime

Banned
    I doubt it, because i dropped mine 3 inches and it sit the exact same as your truck with the same tires and same amount of hitting. Then i got new tires and dropped it 2 more. even with mine 2 inches lower my tierod ends dont hit my control arms tho, i can go look for a witness mark but i dont think they do.

CUT THE BRACKETS before investigating the noise any more.!