Thread: performance suspension

Slow Ride

performance suspension

full size truck forums pretty much suck balls. So, I know some of you guys fave full size trucks too and a lot of guys are involved with shops. So I'll try here.

Now that the Hotchkis TVS is not available, who makes a performance suspension kit that actually works and provides a decent stance? The Eibach and Ground Force kits seem pretty lame. Eibach is front coils and shackles. Ground Force is spindles and shackles. WOW!!!

I picked up an '05 GMC RCSB recently and am exploring my options. My other truck is a '90 Chevy RCSS with a Western 4/6(coils/spindles/flip), Belltech shock extenders, newer replacement LMC leaves and KYB MonoMax shocks.

It handles OK. Not much for hauling heavy loads. Smallish tires 235/70/15 front and 275/60/15 rear. The ride is very nice. I've had it dropped for almost 9 years.

I'd like for my new truck to have a little more "grown up" stance, I guess is the best way to put it. I would like for it to have a more serious/aggressive ride quality and handling while not knocking my fillings out. It currently is all stock with too tall 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country tires.

I was looking at maybe a 2/4 or 3/5. A 4/6 still looks higher on a NBS vs OBS, but tire sizes start to shrink. I'm open to running 18's or 20's. Rear gears will be selected based on tire size. I'll sell the monster truck tires on there now and get some winter tires of appropiate size. Days like today after getting 14" of snow tend to make me think more ground clearance may be better. If I was still driving my '90 I would not have gotten to work today.

Discuss...

You've not mentioned McGaughys...

http://www.mcgaughys.com/
    '88, half bagged, 4.3, auto, 241k, 18" IROCS, blah, blah, blah

Slow Ride
    they really don't make a performance setup though. yeah I can drop it, but the spring rates will be too soft and the swaybars won't match and the shocks will not be the right rates. Piecing it together will get real spendy after changing springs a half dozen times to zero in on something.

A friend of mine at work has a chevy 1/2 ton that has a mild drop and 20s on it. Just for an idea... Not sure exactly how low it went. He bought it this way. But it still rides like stock. I'd guess it was a 2/3 or a 3/4.

Jake

Typhoon:boink:
    Originally posted by lowblazin94
    Plus they can't arrest you or get a DUI while you have a boner.

Have you looked into coilovers?
    '88, half bagged, 4.3, auto, 241k, 18" IROCS, blah, blah, blah

Slow Ride
    I guess the Hotchkis stuff is available on ebay. What do you guys think about their 2" drop coils with DJM 2" drop A-arms up front and the Hotchkis 4" drop leaves in the back with a flip kit and a lift shackle? Then add the big ol' swaybars and some good shocks like the Edelbrock IAS or some Bilsteins?

id run the drop spindles over lcas anyday. Get a set of mcuaghys 17inch and up drop spindles and some belltech coils and the fronts gonna ride pretty stock. Also i wouldnt reccomend the leafs for the hauling and i beleive they make it squishy ride. A flip kit with 2inch lift shackles or just leaving it a 6inch drop will be the best. Then get some stickey tires, some decent shocks, and a matching set of thick sway bars and itll be pretty slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Slow Ride
    I've never been really keen on drop control arms. I drag mine now, I couldn't imagine losing even more ground clearance with the spring cups dropped. I've been thinking about getting the Eibach or Hatchkis front coils with the Hotchkis front and rear swaybars. Then get drop spindles and a flip kit from Western. I think I'll need shock mount extenders like I have on my '90. For shocks it will be a hard decision. Edelbrock, DJM, Beltech, KYB, Bilstein they all make decent stuff.

For wheels I'm thinking 18's. This truck is using stock Nissan Titan wheels with 285/50's on a 4/6
    Last edited by Slow Ride; 12-15-2009 at 05:33 PM.

me no see picture.

I have the DJM flip sitting in my room as we speak, it comes with the shock relocator, the other side is fine. The only thing i picked up was a new carrier bearing bracket but thats not an issue on yours. Looking at the diffrent springs i just settled on a 3inch belltech, i dont see much diffrence in ride characteristics in diffrent brands. For the front shocks i got belltech nitro II's. I couldnt find ones listed that would work for my application so i still have to decide on a set. Im planning on running a 5/8.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

Slow Ride
    fixed