Thread: Targa/hard top convertible?

Targa/hard top convertible?

Anyone done this? I am thinking about a new project to start in spring. I had this idea for a 1st gen S10 pickup with either a targa top or a full removable hard top. I have read a bit on the net, and tons of people think this will hurt the structural integrity of the vehicle, but I don't think it would (much). Since the truck is on a frame, and that is where the rigidity comes from, it should not matter too much. Besides, you can brace up the body pretty inconspicuously.

I have a few ideas on execution, but I may be over thinking it some. I am thinking (for the removable hard top) remove the top & rear of the window frame & roof etc. Then weld the window pieces to the roof piece. I would have to fabricate the latching mechanism, but can scavenge parts from a junkyard.

I know they sell kits, but the ones I have seen are way the hell over priced. I can see paying $800 for one of these kits if they were as simple as cut off and bolt on, but you have to do all the fabrication anyway.
    '88 2 door, 400SB
    see progress here

The Marlboro Syclones were modified to t-tops. I don't see why someone with decent fabricating knowledge couldn't make it work

Looks like they did exactly what I was thinking. As far as fabrication skills, I have relocated a radiator to a trunk before, and tons of other fabrication projects.
    '88 2 door, 400SB
    see progress here

I've always wanted a targa top or t-tops on my s10.
    If you can't do your custom work yourself then sell your ride.

Welcome back 1991, lmao

I always wanted a targa top but after owning a t-top and seeing how bad they can leak I like my roofs hole free now.
    stock-87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 3.4, auto, 4x4

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Welcome back 1991, lmao

I always wanted a targa top but after owning a t-top and seeing how bad they can leak I like my roofs hole free now.

not all t-top cars leak.

Vamos Mantequilla!!! ProfessorKaos's Avatar

'93 bodied Std. Cab....Classick
    Midwestminis.net <- Go There!

Quote Originally Posted by mpeace View Post
    not all t-top cars leak.

None leak at first but they all leak over time.

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    None leak at first but they all leak over time.
    yea maybe after years,all you do is replace the rubber seals.

I think a Targa Top would be kinda cool...

Do you need to reinforce the frame for this??/
    2000 S-10 Blaza, Wit sum Ghosty Flames sittin on sum Dubbs

Quote Originally Posted by mpeace View Post
    yea maybe after years,all you do is replace the rubber seals.

If your lucky and the factory or whom ever cut the hole did the proper reinforcing and the body hasn't tweaked. I've seen too many factory t-top cars from the 80s that have horrible gaps and pour water in cause the factory didn't reinforce the body as well as it needed.

Maybe on the newer ones its better but after having to replace a ton of crap in a old trans am to even be able to get rid of it I'm not going to try again. They look cool but I'll keep a solid roof.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    I liked the idea of a targa top in a Blazer until I realized how it would fit with the doors. SInce the doors have the metal frame all the way around the window that would need to be taken into account. You would either need to leave the metal frame and it would look weird with the windows down and the roof off. Or you'd have to attach the metal edge of the door to the targa top and getting the window to seal in the track would be the next hurdle.

After having a car with a sun roof - that is plenty of open-roof for me.