Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: plug problems...

IlluSive XpecTaionS l1ld3v1lrydr's Avatar

plug problems...

my plug against the pass side of the firewall isnt burning the gas... pretty much dumping it down the cylinder and out the exhaust.

i have taylor 8mm wires, just replaced that plug 2 days ago and it looks shot already, and all the other plugs seem to be ok... could this be a problem with that wire? or cap? or even the spider injector leaking...

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
    :tongue: w1shf00l th1nk1n' :boink:

4 door love... or... love-in the 4 door... :bigthumb:

have you checked for spark using a spark tester or if ya dont got that a screw driver?

lol forgot to add that... was getting ready to do the screwdriver test tonight, then dad yells out in the garage "i have a tester in at the shop..." so im gunna try that tomorrow...

but i pulled the plug wire off the other motor, off my body dropped blazer, and swapped out the taylor one for that one.. did the same thing. so im leaning more towards it isnt the wire... but like i said, im gunna try the tester tomorrow and see if maybe the cap is producing spark to that wire..
    Last edited by l1ld3v1lrydr; 01-26-2010 at 07:27 PM.

bump, checked the wire today to see if it was working, and it had plenty of spark...

so whats next on my list of things to check? could that injector be stuck open?

Quote Originally Posted by l1ld3v1lrydr View Post
    bump, checked the wire today to see if it was working, and it had plenty of spark...

so whats next on my list of things to check? could that injector be stuck open?
    it would be nice if we knew what you were working on.

93 cpi 4wd

bump, any ideas?

is it possible the injector to that cylinder is stuck open? its pretty bad that my tbss is getting better gas mileage than the blazer lol. other than that plug not burning gas, for having 210k, she runs good...

any ideas?

Hustle By Any Means UnfinishedBusin's Avatar
    CEL on? if so, what's it tellin ya? if your spider was going bad it would show up and if your injector was stuck open it would show that too if your computer is working right.... you may be getting spark, but is it the right amount of spark, could be too weak to burn all the fuel out of your cylinder.. are you getting spark at the right time too?

light comes on and goes off... its reading 32, which is something with the egr. but i know the actual egr is ok. i take it off all the time and clean it and its never dirty. and the spider injector was shot before, but i dont ever remember the CEL coming on for that, i could be wrong tho.

and im not sure if its getting enough spark, or the right amount. i just hooked the tester up and saw it was getting spark. how can i check to see if its the right amount or right time?

first off you check eninge light is not going to tell you if you got one cylinder running rich or one injector leaking, and your egr code seeing how it goes off most likely happens at a part throttle cruise down the highway i would expect, if this is the case chances are that the egr is not being commanded on or a lack of flow. to see if you got enough spark at that plug take a spark test and set it to 20 on the scale, if it jumps this your fine. chances are pretty good that your injector is leaking.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg
    you need a spark tester like this to see if you got enough spark, just knowing you have spark isnt enough.

Turner's got you on the right path man. There is a veeeerry slight chance its something else but most likely its an injector. CPI is one of the worst ideas GM has ever had.

i was thinking the same thing with the CEL... and it doesnt hardly ever come on. but it does ever once in a while, and then goes off a few mins later. never stays on really long.

and is it possible just for one of the hose's to be leaking? or is it just that its a combination of the three on that side, and its just leaking to the back cylinder. it isnt puddled up when i look down inside the plenum tho, just wet like it should be.

but ill have to see if dad has one of those testers like your referring to in at the shop and go from there i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by l1ld3v1lrydr View Post
    is it possible the injector to that cylinder is stuck open? its pretty bad that my tbss is getting better gas mileage than the blazer lol. other than that plug not burning gas, for having 210k, she runs good...

any ideas?
    no it is not possible seeing as how a cpi motor only has one injector.

Hustle By Any Means UnfinishedBusin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    first off you check eninge light is not going to tell you if you got one cylinder running rich or one injector leaking, and your egr code seeing how it goes off most likely happens at a part throttle cruise down the highway i would expect, if this is the case chances are that the egr is not being commanded on or a lack of flow. to see if you got enough spark at that plug take a spark test and set it to 20 on the scale, if it jumps this your fine. chances are pretty good that your injector is leaking.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg
    you need a spark tester like this to see if you got enough spark, just knowing you have spark isnt enough.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK NUMBNUTS! YOUR OBD/CEL WILL TELL YOU IF YOU HAVE A CYLINDER RUNNING RICH OR LEAN... I'm the lead mechanic at our shop, I know what I'm talking about and seeing as how I just rolled a blazer out of the shop 2 days before I wrote on this thread, I'm sure I would know what I'm talking about... read up Charlie Brown - http://www.obd-codes.com/p0172 - that obd plug will tell you a hell of a lot more when you know what it is capable of doing. Just don't tell me it won't do something for you when it will!!

now, carry on with the updates on this thread please, just wanted to put someone in their place!

you can also do some search for the type of coil you have and type of distibutor you have and what the output is for your combination, then get out a multi-meter, shove the probe into your wire and start it up, read what the multi-meter says - that will tell you a heck of a lot more accuracy then "set it to 20 and if it jumps it you're good" that don't mean crap, those few rounds might jump it, but is it still jumping it at 3000rpm, is it still jumping it while accelerating?? lots of questions that "if it jumps its good" won't cover for you my friend... I will lean more towards a leak or even a clog somewhere though, but it's still there for you to look into the spark issue.... who knows, could be a fuel pressure problem too...