Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: plug problems...

Yeah your gonna be hard pressed to find a NEW one cheaper than that. Ive been to their site before, I'd trust them. Theres only a couple CPI manufactures so it not like you can get rippep off unless they sell you a broken one.

IlluSive XpecTaionS l1ld3v1lrydr's Avatar
    yea the one i got the first, and well the only time i replaced it was a delco one. but like i said from advanced that was close to $300. and the cheapest i saw on ebay was 252 with free shipping.
    :tongue: w1shf00l th1nk1n' :boink:

4 door love... or... love-in the 4 door... :bigthumb:

only thing i can see is that this one is a re manufactured one, and the others are brand new.

You actually found a new one? When I said NEW i was meaning Good Reman. and not used sorry lol... Everything Ive seen is Reman. not new. Even still I'd start off with cleaning it before you buy one.

I take that back I just found a couple new ones on ebay. For that kind of money you may as well just convert it to carberated lol

haha like i said, 250-300. and i hate carb... lol ill start with pulling the intake a part and seeing what that tells me

by a fuel systwem service i didnt mean that crap you buy at the stores, if you go to a good shop they will have a machine that you hook up in place of the fuel tank and it cleans everything the fuel touches, some clean the o2 sensor and the cat aswell like the one i have at my shop. i just did a service on my winter truck and i went from 13 mpg to 17 mpg. http://www.terraclean.net/home.html that is the system we use.

we also have this system and it works well, but the new one seems to work better. http://www.motorvac.com/

A full pressurized service will cost him the same amount as buying the spider.

Also if you just run some techron or seafoam through your system every now and then and use good gas the fuel system services are just another rip off. And yes I'm a fellow mechanic, ASE and all. No offense to you Turner, just my .02.

yea i was told to check the one shop i goto about doing something like that, but as stated, it would be cheaper just for me to replace the spider myself. beucz my luck the flush wont fix anything and ill still end up having to replace the injectors

gm released a bulletin for the 96+ injector assembly that you can purge them with nitrogen to try and unclog the poppets.

the cpi injector is a similar setup so the process would work the same if you felt like trying it.

if you really think you have a stuck open poppet you could do a leak down test derived from the nitrogen purge test.

a poppet valve is a mechanical valve designed to open a X psi. so you could do a leak down test. build an adapter to fit the feed side of the injector assembly and then hook that to a nitrogen tank and hose. set the output pressure to about 15 psi and then turn off the tank. let it sit for what ever length of time you desire.

after this you can keep bumping the psi up 5psi at a time. if the pressure bleeds off you know you have a problem.

IIRC the MINIMUM operating pressure for a gm poppet is 45 psi. so once you hit 45psi you should see some bleed down.

you also may be able to pressurize the system and listen for air leaking around the poppets. or pressurize the system and dip the poppets in water and see if bubbles are visible.

In theory your idea would work but it is impracticle. To do a leak-down test all he needs to do is hook up a pressure gauge turn the key on(not engine) to run the pump turn it off and watch the pressure. If it drops 5+ psi within 10 minutes youve got a leak somewhere. With an injector stuck it will probably bleed down pretty fast.

ok well... i have no clue to what you guys are talking about haha... but... i just pulled the upper intake off and the injector is my problem.. one side is washed clean of carbon (the side im having problems with) and the other side is black with carbon..

im uploading the pics right now...

Quote Originally Posted by mrleprichaun View Post
    In theory your idea would work but it is impracticle. To do a leak-down test all he needs to do is hook up a pressure gauge turn the key on(not engine) to run the pump turn it off and watch the pressure. If it drops 5+ psi within 10 minutes youve got a leak somewhere. With an injector stuck it will probably bleed down pretty fast.
    this is an inaccurate test for testing the leak down of an injector or a poppet.

the following are other reason for pressure leak down in a fuel system.
    bad regulator
    bad injector body
    leaking nut kit
    leaking check valve in the pump

my test eliminates all the other variable but the regulator since it is part of the injector assembly. on a common rail type setup you would just remove the regulator and plug the hole to eliminate that variable.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 02-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.

It will work. But I'm not here to argue with you.