Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 700r4 from 4wd to 2wd can n e one help???

Red face 700r4 from 4wd to 2wd can n e one help???

last year rebuilt my 4wd 700r4 trans and i've already destroyed to transfer case with the 350 c.i.d. now im completely done with the 4wd bs and i want to convert my 4wd 700r4 trans to 2wd. i've got close to $1800.00 invested to the trans with the rebuild, shift kit, and torque converter and i would like to keep it, just not with the transfer case attached. can anyone give me any words of advice please?:confused:
    '97 Chevy Blazer 4dr on 22's with more bass than a crack house! :evil:

R.I.P. '92, CONVERTIBLE, 355 SBC SWAPPED, DROPPED, 4X4, S-10 BLAZER:(

WANTED '98 UP S10/BLAZER FRONT END!

need a new tranny, output shaft lenghts are different so ya can just put a 2wd tail housing on it. you could get a 2wd tranny for cheap and swap everything over tho... if you really wanted to lol, id just get another t case and wait for the tranny to gernade, if it does

so i take it they dont make a "EASY" kit for this and id prolly be better off buying a 2wd and swapping the guts outta mine huh???

ya

You could get the right output shaft and take it to the trans shop its not hard and wouldnt cost much. I wouldnt recommend doing it yourself unless you have tranny exp.

the output shaft is the 1st part in, and last part out when rebuilding a tranny, so its not an easy part to change. you can get a 2wd tranny and swap the guts over like was stated above but if youve never been inside a tranny before ya might wanna take it to someone, but it might not be cheap since it needs a complete disassemble.
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Shouldnt cost too much(if you just take him the tranny. Most of the cost would be the labor to take it out). If the trannys already out of the truck then maybe 30 min./$75(unless the guys an A-hole).

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    they essentially have to disassemble two transmissions, and rebuild one. It will cost alot more then 75 bucks and take alot longer then 30 minutes

Not if he provides them with the ouput shaft. I said nothing about 2 trannies. To simply tear one down and replace the output shaft wont take long and shouldnt be more than an hours labor charge ie $75-$100.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    the output shaft is the very last thing that comes out of a transmission, so the entire thing has to be pulled apart. and then reassembeled.

I know this. Its not that hard and wont take that long if the guy knows what he's doing. Ive had 700r4's apart in 30 minutes. He only has to take one clutchpack apart.

just got a 2wd 700r4 trans thats already lost over drive and drive gears. it has the shaft i need, and my 4wd 700r4 is still sitting waiting for the swap. would you guys try tearing it down and taking the empty 2wd housing and tailshaft along with my freshly rebuilt 4wd 700r4 or what at this point? loving all the helpful suggestions just looking for the cheapest rout at this point.:confused:

If you've never torn into a transmission I would advise against it unless you get a manuel for it, no offense to you but your just gonna be lost and get frustrated. If your mechanically inclined its easy to pick up on but I went to school, got ASE's and have done it quite a bit. Your probably better off just taking them both down to the shop and telling them what you need to have done.

Just an FYI the guy that rebuilt my 700R4 had it completely disassembled in about 7 minutes.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

Yeah they really arent all that hard once you get transmissions figured out. Ive had a 700r4 torn down in about 15, th350's are really easy takes me about 8 minutes... Front drivers are a little more complicated. I think my fastest time was about 23 minutes on a honda trans with an lsd.