Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cpi looses power, backfires?

IlluSive XpecTaionS l1ld3v1lrydr's Avatar

cpi looses power, backfires?

just got my injector problem figured out a few weeks ago, then the other night while out playing around in the snow, i was just cruising along, not on the gas very much, foot didnt move and all the sudden it just bogged down and was spitting and sputtering... i figured it was something with all the snow underneath the car... then it start banging really loud on the driver side, almost on the floor boards.

i originally thought it was something with the 4wd transfer case or something. but now its doing it in 2wd, and the roads are now fine. i can mash the gas to the floor and thats about the only way it will go lol.

but i can just be cruising along, and u can just feel the car slow down so you give it more gas, and it just looses all its power in the engine and bogs down, then starts knocking really loud almost like its backfiring in the motor..

what the heck could this be from?

its a 93 vortec cpi, 4wd
    :tongue: w1shf00l th1nk1n' :boink:

4 door love... or... love-in the 4 door... :bigthumb:

possibly a pluged cat

wouldnt it act up all the time then tho? and the fumes dont smell or anything, nor does anything come out the exhaust when i rev it or get on it. most the times it runs and idles fine... just started doing it the other night when i was out playing in the foot of snow we got... a buddy mentioned it might be because the distributor got wet from being lowered and all the snow. but i popped the hood and everything under there was dry.

Have you checked your TPS sensor?

yea, ive swapped the sensor off the old motor before. that didnt do anything. would that cause the backfiring issue tho?

I would make sure your distributor cap isn't arcing, driving around in moist/humid conditions can do fun things like that.
    Last edited by ColonelPanic; 02-14-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: "cap"

how would i check this?

If it's on the outside, in low light you'd probably be able to see it, but you could also check all the posts with a test light, make sure they aren't sparking irregularly. You said it idles fine though, so that would be kind of hard to do when driving. Honestly, distributor caps and rotors are cheap, I'd probably just replace it.

it idles fine most the time, unless its acting up like this, then its screwy. and ive notice the last 2 times its done it its only happend at lower speeds, and i can feel it coming.

if im cruising at like 20 mph i just slowly feel it loosing the power and starting to slow down, then it starts popping, almost like its backfiring under the hood.

so i step on it... and once i pick up speed it seems fine.

Are your plug wires on good and tight? Mine did almost the same thing to me when I first got it. I hadnt pushed the boot on tight enough after checking the plugs and it fell off.

Have you pulled your dis cap? what do the contacts look like?

havent pulled the cap, and it ran fine for a good week after i changed the spider injector, and i hadnt messed with the wires in a few weeks now.

You might also check the cat, although this sounds more like an electrical problem. Running as rich for as long as it did could have cause a meltdown in the cat. May be a piece in the puzzle but I dont know(worth checking/eliminating). Its hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet.

hell its hard to do it in person to! haha. but, it just doesnt seem like the cat to me. and the only way i know to check that is look underneith when its hot to see if its glowing... but the last time i did that was only a few weeeks ago before i knew it was the injectors that was my problem, and it was red at all.

The best thing to do is to pull it off and shake it and look inside. They're not fun to pull eather lol. Yeah I dont really think its the problem but it may be a factor.