Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cpi looses power, backfires?

You should probably do a once over and check all your sensor connections. Im guessing your MIl light hasnt come on?

The cap is only two screws if I remember right, pretty easy on a 1st gen.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
    The cap is only two screws if I remember right, pretty easy on a 1st gen.
    Yup, itll only take about 10min to pull it off and check/clean it. You may as well check your ICM(ignition control module) as well, make sure its not melted/burnt.

IlluSive XpecTaionS l1ld3v1lrydr's Avatar
    the only CEL i was having was for the egr valve.. which is what i originally thought it was from. but i took it off two times in the past 2 weeks and cleaned the hell out of it and even bought the gasket with the screen in it. but i pulled the fuse for the CEL light and the light hasnt come back on since.

wheres the ICM located? i can check that.

i highly doubt its the cat, its a high flow cat with flowmaster and its less thank 5 years old. not saying it couldnt be clogged, but i just dont think thats my problem.

does the cap just pull off? after romoving the screws? ive never messed with that before.
    :tongue: w1shf00l th1nk1n' :boink:

4 door love... or... love-in the 4 door... :bigthumb:

yeah the cap just pulls off. you'll want to mark you cap and plug wires so you dont get them mixed up(if you want, itll be easier to look at stuff with the wires off). the icm is under the cap as well its what the plugs plug into on the dist.

cool cool, maybe ill do that tomorrow... i thought the cap had to be turned a certain way when reinstalling? it just pulls out and goes back in the same way? :confused:

The cap doesnt move/matter its the rotor in the dist that matters/moves. Just make sure the plugs go back in the right place after the cap is on. It would make it easier(since it seems you've never done this) and give you less room for misshap if you use tape to mark the dist. and plugs so you dont get confused when reinstalling it.

also look into your coil. i had a s10 that would run great but once it was warmed up(every once in awhile) it would miss real bad and run like crap then go away like nothing happened. i baught a MSD coil from autozone for 45 bucks and that solved the problem.
    Draggin door handle's

already have an MSD coil on it, and 8mm taylor wires. and when it first started acting up it did it while the motor was warm, but as of late it does it like 10 mins after i start/leave and then wont til it til the next time i goto leave my house or something

ok so i finally got around to pulling the top of the cap off... heres what it looks like... not to sure if its good or bad lol. suggestions?

sorry for the pics, i couldnt get the camera to focus in there very well lol

Replace your icm. and make sure to use heatsink grease on the bottom. you should clean up some of that rust and all that corosion too

so ya think thats my problem? i was reading about problems guys have when these go bad, and alot of the same problems im having. like how it seems to idle fine when cold, but acts up when warms, and under pressure it surges, but runs fine while im driving...

ill call around this week to find a new one, and ill keep ya posted!

ok so heres what i have, upon removing the module, i got to thinking that that wasn't my problem, but i already bought a new one. put it on. and she runs fine for the first 2-3 mins. then starts carrying on at idle...

it runs fine when im driving, other then when it looses the power and starts acting like its backfiring. or sitting at a red light in gear, it acts up, i have to put it in neutral and double foot it, but that doesn't even work because even when i keep my foot at the same spot, it looses power, so i have to keep reving it up so it doesn't shut off

EGR possibly?

nope,just cleaned that all out, and its never dirty, also installed a new gasket with the screen just last week.

EDIT: just noticed its running a little rich as well...
    Last edited by l1ld3v1lrydr; 02-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.