Thread: Frame jig

Frame jig

Ok simple question and im sure ill get a thousand answers. I plan to stock floor my blazer but wondering if it is necessary to have a frame jig. I figure that as long as everything is level and parallel then you should be fine but i have a buddy that says it will be messed up. I do plan to do it on a nice somewhat flat concrete surface and not in the grass or somthing stupid like that. Thanks guys-Josh
    -Practice does not make perfect,
    Perfect practice makes perfect...

I've seen many SFBD's done on bare concrete floor. you def want to make sure the floor is pretty level and make sure everything is scuare while you're building it. A frame table is def a better way to go but if you don't have the money for it, then you can do it without. I personally would spend the $100 and build a simple wooden adjustable table that you can level.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

Ya i was qoing to level everything up using wood.

just check and check then recheck every day you work on it. i love my jig because i can weld braces rite to her and they dont move. mine is a cart from a sand blasting place and it was only $50 then i had to just add about $100 worth of steel to be the rite size. post up on crags list or something because someone may have a shipping crate or something like that. alot for big stuff are steel. my buddy got one from a lathe that was shipped to a local steel place

Shipping crate huh? Can you post up some pix? im trying to picture what you got but im not real sure what you mean. Thanks-Josh

Well i dont have much room to build a frame jig but i was wondering what do you guys think of something simple like welding a big square out of flat bar then lay it on the ground and weld bottle jacks to it that way you can adjust the 4 corners? just trying to keep it small and simple

I dont think there would be enough weight on the jacks to make them loose pressure and harbor freight (i know i know) has small 2 tons for $10 each

Any other suggestions?

instead of bottle jacks use some 3/4 bolts and nuts welded in the end of some tubing for adjustment cheaper and wont accidently get "adjusted"

man i dont have any ones of just the jig everything is of something on top of it

and cheap bottle jacks would work but they would have to be welded to the jig so it dose not move and with the cheap ones they do settle over time so you would be checking it all the time

and +1 on the 3/4 bolts and nuts welded in the end of some tubing.

something else you could do is trailer jacks

I think your right with the bolts. That would be pretty easy and straight forward.

Any advise as to where you guys use as a reference point? Any good advise for measurements. Never built a frame before but i have built a bunch of other junk.

Thanks guys-Josh

The best reference point to use is the rear lower control arm mounts b/c they are the exact same on both sides of the frame.

Well this is gonna sound dumb but it looks like the only place i can set up my frame is on gravel. This is deffinetly not the most ideal location but i need to make it work. I am going to leave my blazer together and buy a new frame to take measurements off of. So how can i make this somewhat flat gravel area work to do a frame? I do know that i will need to build somesort of flat surface. Any ideas?

Thanks-Josh

man the problem is it needs to be prefect your frams is like the footings for your house. if the frame is not straight or is twisted it will show in the body and will just all around look like shit. i would really looking into doing something different. you can do a reg body drop because you are just going off the frame that is there and all ready straight. it's one of them things if you cant do it rite dont do it at all. not to sound like a dick but thats my 2 cents

ya i know what you mean. im going to hold off till i have a place to do it.

Well, I know you said you're going to wait but just for a pic reference, here's the table I built. I plan on plating the top with metal as well so that I can weld to it.

The table cost me under $150 and it was leveled using a laser level. It's made of 2x6's and the legs are 4x4's. The legs are bolted on using an impact and lag bolts with washers. There are 24 legs on it so this thing is not going anywhere. It's 14' long by 5' wide.

that looks solid
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed