Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Best 4 link/bag setup on a 1st gen

  1. #1
    static drop 2 dr blazerman5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144

    Best 4 link/bag setup on a 1st gen

    2dr, 1st gen s10 blazer.

    I was looking at this link kit, if I decide to go with a bag on bar setup http://www.suicidedoors.com/4-link-k...ted-4-link-kit.

    I'm not gonna be doing the work myself, I dont have the welding skills or the time and place to do it.

    I've been reading thru some threads on here trying to find info from ppl who have dona a bag on bar 4 link setup on a blazer...but couldnt really find alot.


    Is there any trouble fitting the bag next to the frame, or the bag rubbing when using the front leaf spring hanger for the lower bar and mounting the bag off the side of the frame? Would an re6 suffice or would re7 be much better for bag on bar?


    If I dont do a bag on bar - I was thinking sleeve bags behind and under axle, but then there is the gas tank which might be in the way...


    thanks for any help:eek:
    Last edited by blazerman5000; 04-14-2010 at 12:39 AM.

  2. #2
    streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington
    Posts
    1,968
    Bags on the lower bars on a blazer are a pain in the ass if you keep the lower bars running off the stock spring hangers. There is not enough room to properly center the bag on the bar, and you wind up with alot of twist in the bar, and you'll eat bushings and lose lift. I've seen a couple guys do it by either dishing the frame where the bag mounts for clearance, or moving the lowers to the inside of the frame. I gave up and cut the back of the frame off :)

    Sleeves behind the axle are a good way to go, I ran mine like that for a couple years with good success. You'll need to rework the gas tank crossmember, but you can make them fit. The ride quality of the F9000 is awesome too, I kinda miss having that setup...
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

    For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

  3. #3
    Lovin Life oxsign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    844
    You can also run a regular tri-4link then make some lift bars to come off just in front of the rear bumper forward to run a bag-on-bar type of set up like I did on my 4dr. The ride was awesome, and it had plenty of lift.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

  4. #4
    Blazin no mo Forklift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Posts
    8,597
    Im still thinking I might do a 6-link, but the 2 sides of the frame are different as the drivers side sits lower I believe to compensate for the gas filler. You might just need to compensate for that by making the tabs sit lower on that pass. side
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

  5. #5
    Lovin Life oxsign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post
    Im still thinking I might do a 6-link, but the 2 sides of the frame are different as the drivers side sits lower I believe to compensate for the gas filler. You might just need to compensate for that by making the tabs sit lower on that pass. side
    That's what we did with mine. We just boxed it all in to sit level with the other side.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

  6. #6
    Senior Member bigjsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    12,665
    As horrible as this may sound, given your situation you will be at the mercy of whoever is doing your work for you.

    It is more important to see and ride in what ever they have done and what they feel comfortable doing.

    It just sounds like you want your ride bagged for reasonable money and be reasonably reliable.

    Where are you located so shop suggestions can be made.

  7. #7
    streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    As horrible as this may sound, given your situation you will be at the mercy of whoever is doing your work for you.

    It is more important to see and ride in what ever they have done and what they feel comfortable doing.

    It just sounds like you want your ride bagged for reasonable money and be reasonably reliable.

    Where are you located so shop suggestions can be made.
    Sad but true...what it really boils down to is the ability of the person/shop doing the install. I've seen great ideas and good builds go down the shitter just because the installer overstated their ability. It seems to happen alot with Blazers..lol. So just be careful...
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

    For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hammond, La
    Posts
    46
    What about a new cross member with the lower bars inside the frame rails as well for the bags to clear the frame. Ive been trying to figure out how to do a good setup in mine before starting to cut.
    What about a satchell link with the lower bars tri'd, and bags on the straight upper bars?

    . Started off trying to keep the back seats but not its down to just cutting it up to make it lay and then figuring out what to do with the back seating if any,

  9. #9
    Registered User dragnblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriouslyray View Post

    Started off trying to keep the back seats but not its down to just cutting it up to make it lay and then figuring out what to do with the back seating if any,
    thats what i started at. i cut from the gas tank/shock mount crossmember to the back of the seats.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

    Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

    My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hammond, La
    Posts
    46
    What about the way I said about the link and bag mounting; would that shit fly?

  11. #11
    static drop 2 dr blazerman5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    As horrible as this may sound, given your situation you will be at the mercy of whoever is doing your work for you.

    It is more important to see and ride in what ever they have done and what they feel comfortable doing.

    It just sounds like you want your ride bagged for reasonable money and be reasonably reliable.

    Where are you located so shop suggestions can be made.

    you are right on the money! I am located in Pikeville, Ky.

  12. #12
    static drop 2 dr blazerman5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by low_blazer View Post
    Bags on the lower bars on a blazer are a pain in the ass if you keep the lower bars running off the stock spring hangers. There is not enough room to properly center the bag on the bar, and you wind up with alot of twist in the bar, and you'll eat bushings and lose lift. I've seen a couple guys do it by either dishing the frame where the bag mounts for clearance, or moving the lowers to the inside of the frame. I gave up and cut the back of the frame off :)

    Sleeves behind the axle are a good way to go, I ran mine like that for a couple years with good success. You'll need to rework the gas tank crossmember, but you can make them fit. The ride quality of the F9000 is awesome too, I kinda miss having that setup...
    heres a pic of the link i was thinking about getting if I do bag on bar...

    I dont think I would want to dish my frame even tho that is an option... inside the frame sounds good as long as nothing else would get in the way there!

    but the sleeve bag idea sounds easier.. but what were you talking about modding on the gas tank crossmember? Is it a pain in the ass?

    thanks everybody for all the help so far ;)

  13. #13
    streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington
    Posts
    1,968
    It's not too bad, you need to cut the shock mounts out (they're part of the crossmember) and either use some 1x2 box to stub it back to the frame, or just build a new gas tank crossmember. The only place there is room for the bags is right where the rear shocks were. There isn't alot of room, but if you set it up right it will work out really well, and ride great..
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

    For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hammond, La
    Posts
    46
    To do that superlift kit like you posted the frame is in the way of mounting the bags on the lower bars. Could maybe squeeze them in with offset mounts but then your truck will eat bushings since the bars will twist.
    Modifying the gas tank xmember for some bag space might be your best bet.

  15. #15
    Blazin no mo Forklift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Posts
    8,597
    yeah Ive been tossing around the idea about mounting the bags where the rear shocks were and using some sleeve bags.
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •