Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 4 link/bag setup on a 1st gen

So while that way may work, what bout a satchel like I said? I don't see it to often but all the geometry and function is the same. And doing this way would allow for the bags to be centered and get the nice bag on bar lift and ride

I would still like to do bag on bar, but will probably do a sleeve bag setup because I haven't heard anything bad about that setup.

notoriously, your idea sounds legit, kinda like a 5 link or 6 link. But you'd have to get a fuel cell etc.

low blazer, I have one more question for you! ... How did you mount your rear shocks? I have seen them on the outside of the notch, and thats where I think they look the best as well...

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    It all really depends on wheel/tire size. I've done them on the outside of the notch, but if you run say a 20x8, the shock has a tendency to catch the wheel during articulation..there isn't alot of room out there. I'll see if I can find some pics, the last couple setups I did, my old one included, I had the shocks running from the axle to the base of the driveshaft crossmember. It worked great, but you need to run a reletively stiff shock due to the somewhat steep angle of the shock. With a good set of Doetsch shocks and the F9000's, my blazer rode like a Caddy...

I'll see if I can dig up any pics
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    yes, do that. HOPEFULLY a big hopefully my IAS four link might actually be on my truck. And shock placement is about all i dont have planned. I know the "kit" larry sold originally placed the shocks around the stock front x member. Ive seen pictures of when you originally ran the complete IAS kit. But none of the mod'd to lay out kit

Wouldn't need a fuel cell with my idea, gas tank is behind the axle anyway and everything would be in front of the axle as per usual a standard tri'd 4link.

I don't even have everything for mine yet, haven't even cut out the floor but I do spend a lot of time reading and looking at build threads and underneath mine looking and measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    yes, do that. HOPEFULLY a big hopefully my IAS four link might actually be on my truck. And shock placement is about all i dont have planned. I know the "kit" larry sold originally placed the shocks around the stock front x member. Ive seen pictures of when you originally ran the complete IAS kit. But none of the mod'd to lay out kit
    That's because after Doug layed it out and switched to the cylinder setup he hasn't put shocks in. :D

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Yeah, the only thing that is left of Larry's original kit is the 4-link. I did rework it to lay out, but didn't like the way it looked so I cut the ass end of the frame off :) I'll see what I can find for pics..I have 3 computers to dig though..lol
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

Moar Pictars!!
    I've got a good idea of how I want this in my head, hardest part I can think of so far as design goes is going to be a new cross member or two, but still couldn't be that hard I guess. Maybe cut the floor out and then put the frame on the ground with the drive shaft still connected to make sure the center of the new member clears?

Quote Originally Posted by low_blazer View Post
    It all really depends on wheel/tire size. I've done them on the outside of the notch, but if you run say a 20x8, the shock has a tendency to catch the wheel during articulation..there isn't alot of room out there. I'll see if I can find some pics, the last couple setups I did, my old one included, I had the shocks running from the axle to the base of the driveshaft crossmember. It worked great, but you need to run a reletively stiff shock due to the somewhat steep angle of the shock. With a good set of Doetsch shocks and the F9000's, my blazer rode like a Caddy...

I'll see if I can dig up any pics
    I like what you're saying here :D

I have got a rough measurement (using my hand) of distance from back of my frame to the ground compared to my clearance in the back fenderwells, before I need tubs... I have 255-40-18 tires and it looks like I may not have to tub, but thats a big may. lol, but looks like if I bent that straight peice of metal coming down out of the factory wheel well, that sticks down about an inch, then I might be good...

any pics would be great, cause the more you talk about that setup, the more I'm liking it! ;)

You can fit up to a 25" tire without tubbing, <24"~ would be ideal for not tubbing to give a little room for the tires to expand and flex around with bumps.
    I'll be running a 205/50/15 or 16.

nothing personal but I wouldn't run a 205-50-15, maybe a 16" but I had 195-55-15 on my old s10 and hate the small tires now... I just dont like em, lol. I also wouldnt mind tubbing itr some in the back, as I will probably have to tub firewall in the front to lay anyhow.

The small tire thing started when I wanted to keep the back seat so I wouldn't have to tub and move everything around, might work the back out to run a 18/20 combo later. Should be able to fit an 18 up front without tubbing, maybe cut the fender and massage the firewall a little?

You can run 20s and keep your backseat if you're not bodydropping it. Kyle did it with his Blazer like 5 years ago.
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44529

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    yea ive got a 28 inch tall tire and have measured and measured and if i make a notch out of box tubing and get it right where it needs to be my seat MIGHT come up an inch or two and thats small enough for the average person to never notice

Quote Originally Posted by low_blazer View Post
    Yeah, the only thing that is left of Larry's original kit is the 4-link. I did rework it to lay out, but didn't like the way it looked so I cut the ass end of the frame off :) I'll see what I can find for pics..I have 3 computers to dig though..lol
    I'd still like to see them pics low blazer!...