Thread: flip torsion keys?

flip torsion keys?

i have a 99 gmc jimmy4 door, i wanna drop the truck another 2 inchs i got pancake bumpstops already, and my buddy told me that i can flip the keys, is there anything special that needs to be done or is it just straight up flip the keys?

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    If you flip the keys you are going to be riding on those bumpstops. You will also lose the ability to adjust it properly and have no suspension travel.

Do it right and get the drop torsion bar end. -> http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76361

i thought u could still adjust it with the flip keys?

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    The keys have a dimple in the end of the arm that keeps the bolt in place. When you flip it over there is no dimple and the bolt will slide along the edge of the torsion key. With the bolt mount a semi-circle, it will just slide as the pressure pushes it away from the key. Eventually it will bind up crooked and you will mess up the threads on the bolt or even bend it.

So yes, it is technically adjustable. It just won't keep proper adjustment and there is an obvious 'better way' to do it.

My $.02.

Banned
    make a new hole for the adjuster block to sit in lower in the crossmember, if you dont want to hassel with removing the keys and paying for new ones.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

this torsion bar stuff is really starting to confuse me..

Banned
    it is a stupid simple system, if you just look at it and see how it functions it will become clear.

The torsion bar connects to your control arm on your front suspension...

the bar is then TWISTED so that it applies force on the control arm to life the truck up...

the bar is HELD in that twisted position, by having a little arm, or "key" of the opposite end that rests against a stop...

what you need to do, is change the stop point, so as to let the torsion arm sit in a lower position.

Go under your truck and examine the setup.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    it is a stupid simple system, if you just look at it and see how it functions it will become clear.

The torsion bar connects to your control arm on your front suspension...

the bar is then TWISTED so that it applies force on the control arm to life the truck up...

the bar is HELD in that twisted position, by having a little arm, or "key" of the opposite end that rests against a stop...

what you need to do, is change the stop point, so as to let the torsion arm sit in a lower position.

Go under your truck and examine the setup.

This makes all the sense in the world..didnt understand at first but definitely do now

Banned
    great

ahhaha