Thread: best rear end for a 84 v6 jimmy

My Tape Deck Broke

best rear end for a 84 v6 jimmy

Theres a bunch of blazers and jimmys here at the junk yard. I have a crappy one legger with drum brakes. I would like a direct swap. posi with disc would be killer. What years should I look for. Or sins I am cutting off the leaf perches will any rear end including a second gen work?
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

My Tape Deck Broke
    No one knows the differences in rear ends and what model packages and years came with disc and posi?

GM did a good job of making it difficult to just pick and choose years for the "best" axles.

G80 is the RPO for posi. It does a decent job, but isn't great. Most guys who want a good locking differential go with something else even if they start with the G80 rear end. Discs came on the 98+ blazers if I'm not mistaken. There may have been other applications and I don't think all of the 4 doors had rear disc either.

Second gen rear ends bolt right up to 1st gens and vice versa.

The "best" bolt in will be an 8.5" rear. There is no known pattern to what they were installed on. Best bet is a 5 spd truck or SUV with the G80 RPO, but it has come on others. There is a thread on here showing how to identify and 8.5 over the 7.5 & 7 5/8 rears.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Basically he nailed it. There is no "perfect year" or ect. You will have to poke around. Me myself I would find a disc setup and lock the rear yourself. lockers have come down in price over the years. and you have plenty of choices. electric, air, centrifugal
    1985 Chevy s-10 Blazer 4x4
    2000 Chevy s-10 LS Standard Cab

My Tape Deck Broke
    ok thanks for the info. From the sounds of it I will be ok if I ask for a 8.5 inch rear with disc. Im hopeing the drive lines all mount the same But thats wishful thinking because I know my 97 dime had a different set up than the later models :/

My Tape Deck Broke
    oh yea one last question. will I have to do any thing extra when converting to rear disc or will i just hook the ebrake and brake lines and be done with it.