Thread: Top Quality Slave Cylinder Recomendation for 97 4.3L 4x4 5speed

Top Quality Slave Cylinder Recomendation for 97 4.3L 4x4 5speed

I have a 97 4x4 blazer with a 4.3L v6, for the second time in its 110K mile life the slave cylinder is leaking to the point where there is no pressure exerted to push the clutch to change gears. I tried everything to bleed the clutch , every method I found searching the forum. No Dice. I went through 6 big bottles of fluid. The first time I had the job done, there was nothing wrong with the clutch , but I changed everything anyway for good measure , clutch disk , pressure plate , pilot bearing in the crank , master cylinder, and of course the throwout bearing / slave cylinder, all OEM GM parts. This time around I will be doing the job myself. It's not worth the price of labor. So anyway, the main question: is there a super duper High Quality slave cylinder out there that has an extended service life. I don't want to drop the tranny to change a slave cylinder ever 55K miles. My panties are in a bunch because the clutch is good. But I'm still going to replace everything. So give me your thoughts on everything, what parts / from where should I get the stuff? I was also looking into a better master cylinder, like something from Tick Performance , but they have nothing for S trucks. I do think I will get their speed bleeder. Also any tips for doing the job? Thanks

i have always had good luck with OEM parts.

they are a little more expensive but its better than doing the job twice.

i also suggest replacing the master and slave at the same time. when you do this clean the line out to make sure there is no debris.

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    i have always had good luck with OEM parts.

they are a little more expensive but its better than doing the job twice.

i also suggest replacing the master and slave at the same time. when you do this clean the line out to make sure there is no debris.
    I agree with using OEM parts. You'd be surprised for some of them at how little the price difference would be, but on others will make your wallets butthole pucker. Their quality is often (contrary to popular belief) much higher.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

I mentioned in my original post , The last time I had the job done I used OEM parts as well , master cylinder was replaced then too. Why Is the Slave Quitting after 55K miles? I don't think I would mind so much if the slave was external, but I hate dropping the tranny, especially on a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by ///ARINUTS... View Post
    I mentioned in my original post , The last time I had the job done I used OEM parts as well , master cylinder was replaced then too. Why Is the Slave Quitting after 55K miles? I don't think I would mind so much if the slave was external, but I hate dropping the tranny, especially on a 4x4.
    it possible seal material from the master cylinder made it into the line and when you reinstalled everything it eventually made its way to the slave and then eventually ate out the seal in the slave.

could have been a bad install or just a junk part. some times a part will last 2k miles or 200k miles.

again, the last time EVERYTHING was changed. It just seems note worthy that both times the slave crapped out on me between 50K - 60K miles. but theres nothing out there better than OEM GM parts? a plastic master cylinder makes me wonder....

The plastic master on my 2000 is still working great at 145k. I doubt it is the material, but like 6speed suggests something else other than the master and slave if you think they are going out too quickly.

Unless you're willing to spend large sums of money on race proven components you won't get something that will last longer than the OEM parts. And race proven parts aren't necessarily going to last any longer because they can swap them out between races if there is anything even available.

When you say everything, did you also replace the line between the cylinders?
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

yup, the line too , everything. I don't mind spending more as long as this issue doesn't come up again. My issue with plastic is that I had never seen a plastic master cylinder before. also, where do you guys get your OEM parts from? I just get it from the local dealer, is there a better source?

So where is the best place to buy parts?
    Where should I buy OEM master and slave cylinder and line

and what is the clutch recommendation? OEM or something else?

If you want OE branded stuff for a '97 your going to a dealership. Even they might have to order it. Depends on the market in ther area. Since they're clutch parts they will probably stock them though.